engines, engines and more engines

Notices

engines, engines and more engines

Old 12-12-2003, 02:25 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Lapse of Reason
Steerling, Cheif,MRD,and Eickert will be in there someplace when he's building again. There are a lot of people out there building big hp motors.

Back a few years ago 1hp per cubic inch is where you have a turn key motor for up to about 500 hours. I feel now that a 575-625 cubic inch motor making about 1000 hp will live 300 hours with a valve spring change at 150 hours. There are a lot of factors to mix in with that but it can be done.

I heard a rumor Eickert might be going to Hustler building motors???

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keith is not working right now. Ther whole issue with KEPP and him will soon be resolved and he should be back to work producing engines.

Of course Sterling said that they would pick Eickert second, they are building motors for Julie and she accessorizes them with KE parts!!! You get a Sterling not a Keith.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:43 AM
WickedWon

Default These Are All Good Builders But...

Sterling absolutely builds the best big HP motors, period. If ya want big power to talk about or show off , save your money. If you plan on using ALL of the power for extended periods, in race like conditions,( especially if it's hot) there is no other choice. Mike builds nothing but serious power, he's up front about the necessary "maintenance" ( we ain't talking oil changes here ) and his customer base accepts it as part of the cost to play at this level. I've been dealing with Sterling for six years for my race and "pleasure" boats, it's funny to listen to others talk about how he's overpriced, but if they really "use" their engines they all eventually step up to Sterlings.

BTW any thought of REAL 1000hp engines lasting three hundred hours with just valve springs is absurd. I think it's a disservice to those considering making a move to such power to have any expectations like that. There is always an exception or "story" about some incredible longevity but if ya got the power you're gonna use it, and when you do, it wears out, with blower motors cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure there ain't no magic.

I speak from experience not hearsay, I've worn out alot of big inch motors, and all of the sets together wouldn't equal 300 hrs. However I must quantify that by saying I'm totally addicted to blowerwine and speed

Old 12-12-2003, 06:44 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Chief Engines. Just add gas as there are no problems.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Ive had two sets of triples from Eickert awesome reliable power for the doller, 502/700"s 250 hours still running great when i yanked them out, current motors tall deck 540's / 825's and 830 #s 5.5 #s boost they make the power easy. 127 hours so far run as good as the day we put them in , his place was like walking into a hospital , impeccable workmanship! Excellant crew that worked there.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Registered

If you are mister poker run and run hard all day long, yes you will kill them fast. If you are Joe boater then with proper up keep you can make them live. You will have to pop the valve covers off every now and then to check things out and have some idea of how to drive and take care of a motor. My time's come from the builders, they all don't like to run them that long,It's a lot nicer to refresh than rebuild, but they all said they have a lot of people that do get that much time out of them. But 1000hp is about the max to get that much time out of them.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

Default CHIEF AND COBRA

I BUILD MY OWN POWER AND HAVE A REPUTABLE MACHINE SHOP DO ALL MY MACHINE WORK.
HOWEVER,I KNOW TOMMY FROM CHIEF AND
RANDY FROM COBRA.BOTH ARE GREAT AT WHAT
THEY DO AND DO IT WELL SO THEY BOTH ARE
MY CHOICES IN ENGINE BUILDING.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:52 AM
WickedWon

Default Facts is Facts

Joe boater don't typically spend $250,000K on engines, trans, #6's and props. If you roll on that kind of cash you probably can afford and expect to go fast. It's the second owner that typically doesn't know what he's in for. I have watched guys get in over their heads for years based on the " I'll run it easy and it'll last another 150 hrs" myth and it's a shame.

Big numbers are all over this board, but the facts behind those numbers are in short supply.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:01 AM
Registered

When do these engines start to lose their dependability?
When you start them
Old 12-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Default Re: These Are All Good Builders But...

Originally posted by WickedWon
1000hp engines lasting three hundred hours with just valve springs is absurd. if ya got the power you're gonna use it, and when you do, it wears out, with blower motors cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure there ain't no magic. I've worn out alot of big inch motors, and all of the sets together wouldn't equal 300 hrs.
Wicked has all of this 100% correct.
Piston engines= very old technology, especially pushrod valve train piston engines.
A crapload of parts trying to beat their way out of an enclosed can.
Supercharged? A crapload of parts trying to beat their way out of a can with a lot of compressed air in it.

I don't dislike recip engines guys, however I would never work on them for a living (I'm a turbine guy )
Since I wrench for a living, I prefer to enjoy my boating, so I'll stick with stock power- it's always treated me well.
I do love that sound too, however.......
Jim

Quick Reply: engines, engines and more engines

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.