Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet? >

what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet?

Notices

what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet?

Old 12-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sonic 26 is my next boat. You had all my criteria in mind too!!! I am going with the 496 BB. Not a rocketship but respectable... And a rough water warrior. What say you?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:01 PM
HFZ500

The pantera 28 is much larger than any other boat you have listed.It is a real 28' w/o platform and over 30' w/ aluminum platform bolted on to the transom.Pantera will also build the entire boat custom made to your specifications.

HFZ500

Old 12-11-2003, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 328 Likes on 183 Posts

Velocity 280 <g> Fast, deep cockpit, good handeling and more cabin space then most in this size range. Also you can get the company owner on the phone if you have a question.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:24 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought that you bought a new boat (Formula?) 2 years ago?
Old 12-11-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toolman:

I have to take up for my small company. My 28 Joker is a twin step / notch transom boat. It has the classic flat deck with recessed deck hatches (no bomar hatches). If you measure my boat from the steering wheel to the tip of the bow , it 's as long as a 35 ft boat. Less cockpit space and more room in the hull. This gives you a wave pounding machine with a huge cabin area. I have a fiberglass liner for the cockpit and cabin area. I even laminate aluminum in the cockpit floor so I can through bolt the seats. I could go on and on ........hull and deck glassed , kevlar , vinylester resin , awl grip in the bildge. My boat also is a true 28ft boat , no euro transoms with fiberglass swim platforms counted as length. Speed with a 500 efi Merc is high 70's closer to the 80 mph mark. Well I just had to say that - BH
Attached Thumbnails what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet?-mvc-028s.jpg  

Last edited by THEJOKER; 12-11-2003 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Registered

Based on your requirements I would respond with my personal opinions (disclaimer) as follows:

Baja - great ergonomics, great value for the price

Formula - Great factory (family support), solid boat, attention to detail, pricey to buy, but some great incentives 0% financing (all summer, maybe still)

Fountain - Resale is great, big windsreen (great for breaking wind, not as good looking in my opinion), fast boats

Pantera - Built like an absolute tank, will handle huge water for its size (from every owner I know and from what I've seen), great factory (again - family) support, very low freeboard - makes you feel like you're riding on top of it without the lowered floor wells

Sunsation 288- Well built, great ergonomics and attention to detail, great factory (family) support, the 25 and 32 are small for their size but are extremely fast and will handle some big water

Sonic 26 or 28 - Very solid, heavy boats, great ergonomics, tons of cabin room, lots of freeboard, tight cockpit- especially bolsters if you're a bit heavy, love the walkaround deck, never the fastest thing out there, but another wave crusher that will run anywhere in rough water

Donzi - Great name recognition, resale, quality

Active Thunder - Great looks, big cabin, lots of freeboard, solid build, a little harder to resell, (watch one that is for sale around Syracuse NY that was barrell rolled - if you happen to be looking at that one in particular)

Joker - Look like the Pantera buildwise - solid tank of a boat, sounds like great rough water boat, resale will of course be tough being a newer smaller production boat

All that said (and this is my opinion - so no offense to anyone and again we're talking about the 26-28 footers-not the big offerings from any of these companies) if you're looking for a boat for use on calmer to medium water, I'd go with Baja, Formula, Donzi, Active Thunder 25, Fountain 27, or Sunsation 288. If you're in heavy water, I'd recommend the Sonic and above all the Pantera and probably the Joker (they look pretty solid, I'm just not familiar with them). It all really depends on where you're boating. If you're out with the family primarily smooth water and skiing, hanging out, etc. - I wouldn't think twice about a Baja for the money (you'd be happy as hell) and I think you would be miserable with the Pantera. No freeboard (wife and kids think they're going to fall out), no storage, bare bones, low cabin, hard to get in the cabin, etc., etc. You want to go out by yourself, blast around like crazy, crush waves, catch serious air, and generally try to beat the **** out of yourself in something that never breaks - go with a Pantera (and probably Joker). You want the best of both worlds - I'd probably go Sonic.

Last edited by JROMY; 12-11-2003 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Registered

JROMY Great summary, are you a Phknlawyer? LOL
Old 12-12-2003, 12:24 AM
Registered

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

It isn't in your poll but I will have to vote for the 28 AT.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would say 28' Active Thunder, I looked at them all and bought what fit my needs the best. They are all great boats!!
Old 12-12-2003, 07:15 AM
Registered

Originally posted by hitman
JROMY Great summary, are you a Phknlawyer? LOL

No - just someone with too much time on his hands on a Thursday night! LOL

Quick Reply: what's your favorite single-engine 25-28 feet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.