Notices

Land Lease question

Old 02-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very interesting....what happens if they build it on your property, go under and there is a lein on the building? who owes, and can they put a lein on your property?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know how that works.
These are the reasons I think like this "I would want total control over any construction so Im thinking I would finance the construction". I also dont want someone building a half azzed structure that looks cheap and has no value when they are done with it.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
Registered

Too Old;
Is there anyway to inject myself into the franchise agreement. Could I have him assign the franchise as collateral or is there a process that I need to go through with DD in case he defaults?

How do you personally view DD as a franchise?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Registered

hey chris,

call me on my cell, my father has done a lot of this stuff with his franchisee's who opened up his business in other cities, he also has an atty. who just deals with this stuff, you know he'd be happy to make an intro for ya or share any info....also, D&D is the last thing guys like us need!!! you should be leaseing to a salad bar!!!!!!!!!hahahah.....i couldn't resist....The doughnuts that is!!!!!!!Free Dagnuts!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Registered

Have you thought about becoming a DD franchisee on that piece of property buy-passing the other guy? Just a thought.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Registered

First off I thank you guy's for your suggestions and support.
I met with the realtor and the DD owner last week and I learned alot but its not going to happen with this particular owner.
The owner is very well established with DD and has several locations personally and other members of his familly own as well. He want to own the property or have a very sweat lease deal with an option to buy. Since Im unwilling to sell it leaves us at a stalemate. He has agreed that my location would be the best possible choice for a francise like DD/McD's/BK ect and he will have to build two locations to get the coverage he would have with mine.

So....Im going to look into possibly talking to other franchises and seeing if there is any interest.

Thanks again for the comments
Old 03-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Chris,
Do they have Atkins approved donuts??
Old 03-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

I dont know but I did see that the Krispy Creme's where certified Kosher at the corner store.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:15 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a good commercial lease based on marketable value of the land let them defray costs of building and fit-up. After 5 or 10 years you'll own it if they don't renew. You might want to tie a portion of the lease to the revenues but I would steer clear of having anything to do with that business.