Notices

ever had POISON IVY???

Old 03-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dave M
I found that swimming in a pool with a lot of chlorine or in salt water helps.
Salt water cures everything. Growing up, it was the family remedy...skinned your knee? Go jump in the lagoon.
It really does seem to make cuts heal faster.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at it from 50' and get it- been going to Canada every year for 45 years and had it every year.
Prednisone works quickly but it is a steroid. Use only if you're covered head to toe.
Bleach- not good for your skin- it can cause first degree burns if used too often. Swimming in a chlorinated pool has same effect.
Anivy, Ivydry, calamine, caladryl are all drying agents and are effective for small areas only.
If you're allergic as I am to the stuff, the prescription ointments work very well, and are a good option to doing the steroid treatment (I have had violent migraines from prednisone)
The ones I take with me to Canada are Cutivate and Betamethasone. Both knock it out in a hurry.
Molson and benadryl cure the other symptoms.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

There's a treatment out there called Zanfel. Comes in a small tube for about $35-$40. Wash with it in the shower and you start to heal within a day (as long as your poison ivy is topical, not in the bloodstream...the latter requires a shot or meds)

I had poison sumac so bad last fall it took 5 weeks to go away I went back to my doctor after my first round of Prednisone..."well, gee, I've never had to give anyone two rounds of Prednisone to clear this up...that's funny..."

"Yeah, thanks doc..."
Old 03-24-2004, 12:05 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by rainmn
Salt water cures everything. Growing up, it was the family remedy...skinned your knee? Go jump in the lagoon.
It really does seem to make cuts heal faster.
You jumped in Jersey water with an open wound You're lucky it didn't rot the limb off!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured I'd see a few pics of Uma Thurman in here by now !?!??!!? You guys are really slipping !!!
Old 03-24-2004, 01:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I too get it real bad. All I have to do is look at it. and I'm itching.
When I was little I recall getting it all over my body. I would be covered from head to toe with Caladryl lotion. Back then there weren't any pills you could take. Doc said Calimine or Caladryl is all there is and don't scratch.

posted by rainmn
Salt water cures everything. Growing up, it was the family remedy...skinned your knee? Go jump in the lagoon
I don't know how long you've lived in Manahawkin but when I lived in Toms River (1966-87) you didn't dare swim with an open wound. You had to fight the floaters just to swim.
And like R Addiction said "You're lucky it didn't rot the limb off!!!"
Old 03-24-2004, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 301 Likes on 111 Posts

LMAO i could be dragged across the pavement about now to make the itch go away funny thing is also got a sun burned back from sunday
Old 03-24-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tell me your symptoms and shoot a picture and post it and I will treat you heere over the net.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Registered

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
The ones that say go to the doctor are right.I get it all the time. Unless it is real bad, I don't even worry about it anymore. When it IS bad, I go to the doctor and get the steroid. That is the only thing that really helps.

Same here. I have had it so much the doctor does not want to give me any more steroids. I am now using a cream that doc. gives me & that works great. As soon as I see it coming up & start putting the cream on.

When I was young I could roll in it & never get it. Sometime in my late 20's is when I first started to come down with it.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:16 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Scratch it open and rub gas on it....All gone except for the smell

I don't do this...I'm an auto technician and have got gas on Poison Ivy and Waalaah...Gone

Quick Reply: ever had POISON IVY???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.