Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Notices

Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

I was mailed a copy of the March 24 edition of Boyne City, Michigan's "The Citizen Journal" newspaper that had an article titled Coming to the lake this summer: "Boyne Thunder". I'll paraphrase the story:

There is real excitement brewing downtown: the offshore racers are coming to Boyne City. The weekend of July 17, Main Street and Camp Quality are sponsoring Boyne Thunder, a Poker Run sanctioned by the American Poker Run Association. So what is a Poker Run? Well, it's really a combination of a road rally on the water and a scavenger hunt. The entrants are given a course at the beginning of the day; they visit five towns and at each stop are given a sealed envelope containing a playing card. At the end of the day, the boat with the best hand wins a prize. And what boats!

They are privately owned offshore racing boats with powerful engines and spectacular paint jobs. They will depart Boyne City and cover a 125 mile course on Lake Chrlevoix and Lake Michigan, including a stop at Beaver Island, before returning.

The skippers and their crews are true yachtsmen. They know the rules of the road and are experts in navigation, boat handling and seamanship. They all agree in writing that the rules of boating will be strictly observed and that there will be no alcohol consumed during the event. Make no mistake, though: where it is both safe and legal, these folks can be expected to put on an awe inspiring display of speed and power. Participants also have a solid history of being gracious and considerate guests wherever they visit. Central to the weekend, of course, is raising funds. The proceeds support outdoor adventures throughout the year for children battling cancer and their families, all at no cost to participants. The article goes on to explain planning with the city fathers, Sheriff's Department and Coast Guard, and invites volunteers to help with supporting the boats and crews ashore and helping to make the event a success.

There was no contact name or information given regarding registration, costs, or any other details. Has anyone else heard about this. Although I live in Battle Creek, my boat hoist is at the cottage on Lake Charlevoix and I sure wouldn't want to miss this on my "home" lake!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Get some more info. I'm sure there are some of us here in West Michigan who might want to try this one out.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:02 PM
Registered

have not heard about this run, turns out being the weekend before our fun run with simular distinations. i will try and call the city tomorrow and ask some questions about it.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Registered

wow here it is on the web, i will call on it tomorrow.

http://www.boynecity.com/minisites/b...nder/index.htm
Old 05-04-2004, 03:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now i am not happy about this

They have taken all there pictures for there site off of our website www.smokeonthewaterpokerrun.com

am i over reacting or should we be pissed off about this ??

these people called me and asked for advise on how to put on a poker run a while ago

I gave them some advise and Ideas
but never did they ask, nor would we have given permission, for them to take pics from our site to promote there event

am i wrong to be upset??????
Old 05-04-2004, 04:48 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

NO you are not wrong. Call 'em on it, and demand they take down "your" pics.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:50 AM
Registered

i agree, i got the impression that the two runs were related some how. a north and south version per say.
Old 05-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc I'd be pissed too! But it looks like fun!
Old 05-04-2004, 06:58 AM
Registered

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 93

Is there anywhere on the water up that I can get premium? I would love to do a poker run up that way. Thanks Steve.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 93

Originally posted by Nykamp
Is there anywhere on the water up that I can get premium? I would love to do a poker run up that way. Thanks Steve.
Nykamp I'll bet you can get it somewhere on Lake Chalivoix, I'd call Irish Marine they would know!

Quick Reply: Poker Run on Lake Charlevoix?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.