Watch out for Floating debris! >

Watch out for Floating debris!

Notices

Watch out for Floating debris!

Old 05-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Watch out for Floating debris!

Originally Posted by baja27
We call the Delaware river the Lumber yard, you will find railroad ties to full blown trees flowing down the river. Two years ago we heading into the Delaware bay and there was a steel drum with large chains attached to it floating around!

The lumber yard
Old 05-19-2004, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caveman, Try Martin Marine in Fort Lauderdale. Speak to Jacky or Tres.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

Growing up at your family's marina, you see all sorts of stuff. I've seen boats, docks, logs, trees, unknown submerged objects, tires, barrels, barges ( yeah they tend to break free during floods ). Been pretty lucky myself. Got a mangled prop off of my old boat.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:24 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabob38
The lumber yard
I'd call it the junk yard!!! We used to take a wednesday night run from Morrows to Chesapeake Inn and back!!! In the dark!!! We went to Northeast Md. in April in the early 90's and saw tires with wheels, paletts, whole trees, stumps!! i avoid that river until at least mid season and sometimes don't go there at all!!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

The lake I boat on has LOTS of debris. After a hard rain, the resultant rise in water level floats zillions of logs and stuff out of all the coves and fingers and the current takes them to the dam. They run all day long locking trash through the locks to keep them clear for barge traffic. When this is going on, the river is insane.

I've seen chicken coops and complete trees and tires and bigwheels and everything else you can imagine.

I've hit stuff in the cruiser that made it a long day (sucker will cruise mid 30's on both but won't plan on one). One trip down river to KY Lake used up BOTH of my spare props. Sucks.

There was a triple engine Scarab that a con-artist bought with a hot check (on our lake a few years back). The third day he had it, he drove over an old stone fence row that was submerged. Tore all 3 drives up badly, with 2 of them breaking off at the gimbals and one shearing the bolts at the lower unit. Repair bill was $52,000, as there was hull damage as well. The marina that he had purchased the boat from stopped everything and did the work. He paid by check. He also bought a trailer.

While this was going on, it is interesting to note that the marina had been contacted by the bank notifying them that the original check for the purchase of the boat had insufficient funds. Buyer apologized and said money from his brokerage account had not been transferred into the proper account. They believed him. When the check came back a second time and so did the repair check and the trailer check sent out the dogs for this guy. He was long gone. They found the boat in Alabama and brought it back to TN and chained it to a big pole. That deal eventually put the marina owner into bankruptcy.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We call the Delaware river the Lumber yard, you will find railroad ties to full blown trees flowing down the river. Two years ago we heading into the Delaware bay and there was a steel drum with large chains attached to it floating around!
:blaster

I've seen everything from a roof top, to a car floating in that River Hell we even have a Sunken Hooters Barge now
Old 05-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 156 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by CAP071
:blaster

I've seen everything from a roof top, to a car floating in that River Hell we even have a Sunken Hooters Barge now

One would think With all that floatation how could a Hooters barge
Sink

Well Slowly the Drive is getting back together with parts from all over the country. I can already feel how paranoid I will be putting it back in the water.
I just didnt see it.
Old 05-22-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck getting it back together. I want to hear how fast it is now with those big motors.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Watch out for Floating debris!

Might have been Jimmy Hoffa.