need some computer help!!!

Notices

need some computer help!!!

Old 05-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 294 Likes on 101 Posts
Default need some computer help!!!

seems my computer has been hijacked. somewhere i picked up a bug that has re-directed my home page to a search page called "about blank" everytime i re-set my home page (to OSO of course) it resets it back to the about blank page and i get this popup that tells me i have to buy some frikn anti spam program to remove the crap that they put on. i think it has also loaded a bunch of links in my favorites file as well. WTF!!!! man this kinda crap piss's me off. i am running win98. anybody ever have this one? and how do i get rid of it?. spybot dosent catch it and from what i found on the net this one is a ***** to ger rid of. thanks guys.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 05-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need some computer help!!!

I would look in install/uninstall see if its in there and then you can uninstall it.
Also check this link to post on the same topic. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78505
Old 05-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Registered

goto www.lavasoftusa.com . install and run adaware, being sure to update it to the most recent def file before you do. It's pretty good at catching these homepage hijackers, as they are known.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Registered

www.pestpatrol.com works great
Old 05-30-2004, 05:51 AM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Dave,

It's an adware level infection. Lots of ways to get rid of it, including the suggestions above. One you eradicate it, buy a full blown protection system like Symantec Anti-Virus program which will protect your system on just about every level. For more info, do a search for "hijack" on Symantec.com and you'll find info on removal tools.

Try this link:
http://www.symantec.com/search/

Types of threat

Adware
Programs that secretly gather personal information through the Internet and relay it back to another computer, generally for advertising purposes. This is often accomplished by tracking information related to Internet browser usage or habits.

Adware can be downloaded from Web sites (typically in shareware or freeware), email messages, and instant messengers. A user may unknowingly trigger adware by accepting an End User License Agreement from a software program linked to the adware.

Dialers
Programs that use a system, without your permission or knowledge, to dial out through the Internet to a 900 number or FTP site, typically to accrue charges.

Hack Tools
Tools used by a hacker to gain unauthorized access to your computer. One example of a hack tool is a keystroke logger -- a program that tracks and records individual keystrokes and can send this information back to the hacker.

Hoax
Usually an email that gets mailed in chain letter fashion describing some devastating, highly unlikely type of virus. Hoaxes are detectable as having no file attachment, no reference to a third party who can validate the claim, and by the general tone of the message.

Joke Programs
Programs that change or interrupt the normal behavior of your computer, creating a general distraction or nuisance. Harmless programs that cause various benign activities to display on your computer (for example, an unexpected screen saver).

Remote Access
Programs that allow another computer to gain information or to attack or alter your computer, usually over the Internet. Remote access programs detected in virus scans may be recognizable commercial software, which are brought to the user's attention during the scan.

Spyware
Stand-alone programs that can secretly monitor system activity. These may detect passwords or other confidential information and transmit them to another computer.

Spyware can be downloaded from Web sites (typically in shareware or freeware), email messages, and instant messengers. A user may unknowingly trigger spyware by accepting an End User License Agreement from a software program linked to the spyware.

Trojan Horse
A program that neither replicates nor copies itself, but causes damage or compromises the security of the computer. Typically, an individual emails a Trojan Horse to you-it does not email itself-and it may arrive in the form of a joke program or software of some sort.

Virus
A program or code that replicates; that is, infects another program, boot sector, partition sector, or document that supports macros, by inserting itself or attaching itself to that medium. Most viruses only replicate, though, many do a large amount of damage as well.

Worm
A program that makes copies of itself; for example, from one disk drive to another, or by copying itself using email or another transport mechanism. The worm may do damage and compromise the security of the computer. It may arrive in the form of a joke program or software of some sort.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 05-30-2004, 11:56 AM
OffshoreOnly Antagonizer
VIP Member

about:blank problem solver I had the same problem and spent most of yesterday trying to deal with it. I found a great website devoted to this issue. Get SpyBot and also Killbox, two great free programs. Also, get the shredder program. All of these are detailed in the thread above.

-Mr. Sorkin, 10th Grade Geometry teacher
Old 05-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Registered

Hi Dave,

since it looks like these guys have you covered... welcome to BVYC. They read your name at Wednesday's meeting. I launched last weekend between storms and ran from Bolles Harbor to LP only to find a slight sinking problem with the boat. Either the shift cable hose (OMC) or the seal around the transom housing. Gonna hafta pull port engine to find out/fix. Counterman's has it because this is my busy season at work.
Won't be back in for about 10 days. Boo.
Gonna launch the little boat.

Anyway, welcome to BVYC. I think we vote you in next meeting and then you get sworn in the meeting after that.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:27 PM

I agree, Spybot works very well
Old 05-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Ad-aware version 6.0... I have found that Spy-bot .. search and destroy actually has some "data minors" in their program... weird... scary too... but I've had great luck with Ad-aware.. and it's free from lavasoft... I just updated and ran it today... found 3 new "infections"... I had Spy-bot before and it missed a lot of things.
Old 05-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave Also Microsoft estimates half the computer crashes are caused by Spy-ware so get a good Program in your machine..The one I use just upgraded the finger prints to 24032 of the little Bastards..They usually include home page protection.

Quick Reply: need some computer help!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.