Notices

baja or checkmate

Old 06-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: baja or checkmate

I had a 99 25 Outlaw SST with a 502 MPI.

The boat ran and honest and repeatable GPS speed of 67.4. It ran in the ocaen like nobodies bussines and turned like it was on rails. It was easy to handle at the dock and in the snot. THe swim platform sucked as it chipped and flaked. I replaced it with an aftermarket powdercoated one (2,600 bucks ouch). The newer Baja's come with this platform so no worry there.

The boat was easy on the eyes, and delivered real performance. The Convincer is a choice I would not make. There are not a lot of them around here, they don't resell in my area well. The ones I have seen don't run that well either. If you want idea's on how to upgrade, improve or chew the fat - look at this board. Look at the Forums and whats happening on them. Baja is the biggest forum out there while checkmate who clearly has a wonderful loyal base (I am not trying to put anyone down here.. so stay cool you checkmate guys), are very very small by comparrison. I think the reasons for that is tied to the Checkmate company over the last few decades...

I think Baja is a great design and you will smile a long time with it. Rememeber there is a difference between the outlaw vs other Baja.... Happy hunting...

Goodluck with whateverf you decide.

Last edited by nolimits; 06-05-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:32 PM
Registered

If for no other reason than you see hundreds of 25 outlaws I would go with the Checkmate. I dont like the idea of having several around me that look like the same boat. I think both make a decent boat. Do not buy new anything right now as the performance market is way soft.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:34 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

"Do not buy new anything right now as the performance market is way soft."

Isn't that the time to buy? Not sell.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Also it seems to me, that buying the thing that no one else buys is the same backward logic....

I think I hear you saying, buy the less sought after product at a premium. Problem is, when you want to upgrade and go to sell, you are looking for someone in a world of people who don't want it, and have to sell it for even less.

If we where talking Ferrari's here (less of them) some of this might make sense. These Baja's come in many different color's and trim levels. You won't blend in, believe me.... Around here, the checkmates get curious stares... Unless it's one of those outboard varieties which everyone loves...

Last edited by nolimits; 06-05-2004 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked my '98 253 Convincer. Slight chine walk at higher speeds though, over 75
Old 06-05-2004, 03:24 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

DragonFire had a 24 Outlaw with a blower motor... screamed up to 92 (on GPS) no chine walk.... But then again all that was in the water was the prop.... Pure Energy, what power in that 98?????

Pure Energy just reminded me.... my 25 chine walked until I put Latham Steering on..... That cost too....

Last edited by nolimits; 06-05-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

this might be a whole other subject http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/...1957394.htmbut what do you guys think of this.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

My '98 had a procharged 502. 78 on GPS
Old 06-05-2004, 05:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Damn fast.... I wanted to put the ProCharger on my 25, but decided to upgrade the boat instead. Now I want to supercharge what I just bought... Where is the end? lol. Thanks..

Last edited by nolimits; 06-05-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Registered

Talking Re: baja or checkmate

[QUOTE= Where is the end? lol. Thanks..[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I'll let you know when I find it

Quick Reply: baja or checkmate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.