No License Requirement
22.61%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 01-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating License

Not a good idea. Then you just have to listen to "Boating is a privilege, not a right", followed by all the privileges taken away except the ones they want. Next are the continual stream of laws: speed limits, no hard turns, no vessel leaving the water, no exhibition of speed, no excessive acceleration, no reckless boating (their definition), etc, and boats being confiscated for being in a speed contest (like cars are here in California).

No thanks.

Michael
Old 01-28-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by h2owarrior
I get a 15% discount for having passed a USCG approved Power Squadron course. We (the wife and I) took the course when we bought our first boat. It was great and has proved to be invaluable in our 20 years of boating.
Finally someone mentions the United States Power Squadrons.
I have belonged to the Ft. Lauderdale Power Squadron since 1995.
I have been Commander for 4 terms. I teach the free boating course to the public and the engine maintenance course for our members. Not only is it a great boating club, but upon completion of the course you get an insurance discount.

In the state of Florida if you receive two citations during a 12 month period, you are required to take our course or the one from the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

If you join after the basic boating course, you can take advanced courses like Seamanship. Piloting, Advance Piloting, Junior Navigation and Navigation.

There are elective courses of Marine Electronics, GPS Operation, Sailing, Weather, Engine Maintenance, Cruise Planning, etc.

Not only has this helped me in business, but I have formed lifelong friendships with many of our members. We have water and land based activities that are getting better and better.

There is probably a chapter near your area. Don't get discouraged if you meet some older dudes in the squadron. I have learned much through their experience.

P/C Ed Cozzi
Old 01-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you get an insurance discount

That's a Joke

Then the following year they raise it no matter what anyway
Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CAP071
you get an insurance discount

That's a Joke

Then the following year they raise it no matter what anyway
No, it's true. They even offer insurance through the Squadron through St. Paul insurance.

As long as you stay a member and take some courses, the discount stays in effect.

I have several members who are not active, but keep their membership current year-after-year just for this benefit.

Ed
Old 01-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

O.K. the problem with the mention of "useful lessons from competitive or knowledgable instructors only holds so much promise. Tres' comes to mind. The schooling he offers is a good thing don't get me wrong. Well there's only so many Tres' Martins to go around. Once you make this mandatory, it's open season cash cow for the private sector to provide just like car driver's courses for liscensing. In the end a joke that accomplishes nothing in terms of safety or discounts. The idea of insurance "discounts" is fools gold. It's the same process by which they've "trained" us to think that 1.80 is a "great deal" on a gallon of gas! Think about it!

It WILL be just another overbearing big brother and cash cow just like everything else.

I have said it before in this thread months ago.

Those of you in favor need to WAKE UP and admit to yourselves that the utopian vision you have of this is....

IMPOSSIBLE TO ACHIEVE!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PWC and boat rentals at a minimum.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered
VIP Member

I still think education is the long-term solution, however, I would vote to make it VOLUNTARY rather than MANDATORY unless the user is a repeat offender. The high performance guys are not the problem, but let something happen in our kind boat and watch the media circus!
They love to portray us as the reckless, spoiled, speed demons on the water. They love to make examples of us if we do screw-up.
I agree that less government involvement is better. I hate giving up my freedom and money for nothing. Big money is spent yearly to save manatees. How about some of it spent on boaters education?
Old 01-30-2005, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi
I still think education is the long-term solution, however, I would vote to make it VOLUNTARY rather than MANDATORY unless the user is a repeat offender. The high performance guys are not the problem, but let something happen in our kind boat and watch the media circus!
They love to portray us as the reckless, spoiled, speed demons on the water. They love to make examples of us if we do screw-up.
I agree that less government involvement is better. I hate giving up my freedom and money for nothing. Big money is spent yearly to save manatees. How about some of it spent on boaters education?
Excellent perspective. The money spent on the manatees is a joke anyway. 95% of boating related manatee deaths involved large commercial vessels, NOT pleasureboats, despite what the Save the Manatee Club would have you believe.

We have WAY TOO MUCH government intrustion in our lives as it is. I (and I realize I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic here) would like to think that WE WOULD REALIZE that boating courses would only help ourselves. I have personally been through both the Power Squadron and USCG Auxillary Courses. However, the biggest hurdle is getting people to just use their basic common sense. And THAT will be the hardest part. Too many people are basically stupid. They care only of themselves and screw everybody else. And that person is the person causing problems.

I am NOT in favor of any more government in our lives because bottom line it will cost me money out of my wallet. I spend over 60% of the money I make now on "mandatory" expenditures in the form of required insurances, fees, taxes, etc. I spend almost twenty seven hundred dollars for flood insurance ALONE, and in the history of my neighborhood, NOT ONE HOUSE HAS EVER FLOODED. Yet on Phillipi Creek, up in Sarasota, they flood out every few years, but they are not in the Federal Flood Zone. ANd that twenty seven hundred doesn't include homeowners or wind insurance, just flood.

And now Bush wants to send another 80 Billion to Iraq. That could give every man woman and chld in this country top notch health care, for FREE. Why the hell don't we take that money back from their oil reserves, if we free their country the least they could do is pay for it. Instead WE are. Time to shut up before I really get going.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:46 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Question Re: Performance Boating License

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Excellent perspective. The money spent on the manatees is a joke anyway. 95% of boating related manatee deaths involved large commercial vessels, NOT pleasureboats, despite what the Save the Manatee Club would have you believe.

We have WAY TOO MUCH government intrustion in our lives as it is. I (and I realize I'm probably being hopelessly optimistic here) would like to think that WE WOULD REALIZE that boating courses would only help ourselves. I have personally been through both the Power Squadron and USCG Auxillary Courses. However, the biggest hurdle is getting people to just use their basic common sense. And THAT will be the hardest part. Too many people are basically stupid. They care only of themselves and screw everybody else. And that person is the person causing problems.

I am NOT in favor of any more government in our lives because bottom line it will cost me money out of my wallet. I spend over 60% of the money I make now on "mandatory" expenditures in the form of required insurances, fees, taxes, etc. I spend almost twenty seven hundred dollars for flood insurance ALONE, and in the history of my neighborhood, NOT ONE HOUSE HAS EVER FLOODED. Yet on Phillipi Creek, up in Sarasota, they flood out every few years, but they are not in the Federal Flood Zone. ANd that twenty seven hundred doesn't include homeowners or wind insurance, just flood.

And now Bush wants to send another 80 Billion to Iraq. That could give every man woman and chld in this country top notch health care, for FREE. Why the hell don't we take that money back from their oil reserves, if we free their country the least they could do is pay for it. Instead WE are. Time to shut up before I really get going.

Why can't our politicians be as sensible as Formula Outlaw?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Why the hell don't we take that money back from their oil reserves, if we free their country the least they could do is pay for it.
Isn't that the truth.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.