22.61%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Performance Boating License

Originally Posted by GLH
Leave the government out of this, they messup enough of our lives.
Exactly!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree with licenses but a mandatory course is a good idea. In MD you have to take a course before you operate (if you were born after 1972) and it has helped safety on MD waters. The course is only 8 hours but it does help. As for PWC-all rental joints now show a short video to renters and that has also helped. The reason that MD boating stuff works fairly well is that there is an advisory commitee that reviews all this stuff-and there are actual boaters on it. If your state does not have this it may be a way to gain credibility and help keep your rights to the water-and politicos love starting new commitees
Old 06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vern
No extra fees, I don't think so, you can bet there would a lot of extra fees just for the licensing.
You can say that again. Here in NJ they want to have you pay for a 4 year registration for your car. They want all that money now so in 2 years they'll need another fee to make up for the money that is not coming in.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I would like to think that if someone took a safety course they would receive a discount on their insurance rates. Will it happen. Probably not. The insurance companies spend too much time on devising ways to deny claims.

Licenses:NO

You cannot license or regulate stupidity or common sense, which in today's world there is way too much of the first and way too little of the second. You let government get the door even slightly ajar and the next thing you know there will be fees on top of taxes on top of govermental regulation. Remember we are speaking of a government that spent $ 2,500.00 per toilet seat.

What's the answer? I don't know. I do know I do not want any more governmental intrusion into my life. I do not want any more taxes or fees. My wife and I own our own business, a custom cabinet/furniture shop. I spend more on taxes and insurances than I do for everything else in my life combined. Everytime I pick up a paper I am reading where the county commissioners "staff" is recommending another fee or tax to pay for some other hairbrained scheme. Down here they want to put in traffic "roundabouts" despite that 90% of the people do not want them. We're getting them shoved down our throats at great expense out of our pockets. I can't understand why politicians insist on telling us what we want or what is good for us. They should pass a law that says every time a new law is added, an old law must be removed. We are over taxed, over regulated, over fee'd, and over law'd.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful wonderful thing if next April 15th, every citizen mailed in their tax return with a "SCREW YOU" on it.

Sorry, didn't mean to start ranting but taxes and insurance and regulation just sends me into orbit.
Russ I need to come over there and be the mayor of Sarasota. I will reduce everyone's taxes and make up for it by getting the Sarasota Police to issue more tickets to people from the North East

Roby
Old 06-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You can say that again. Here in NJ they want to have you pay for a 4 year registration for your car. They want all that money now so in 2 years they'll need another fee to make up for the money that is not coming in.
I just heard about that two days ago . Everytime I think they've finally reached bottom...they finda way to stoop lower...WTF
Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 PM
Banned

I have enough of the government up my ass, I don't need any more.

For instance, just today the government tells me because one of my employees owes back child support, somehow now I'm responsible to see that he pays it. WTF! I didn't sign up to be a collection agency for the government!
Old 06-17-2004, 09:41 PM
Registered

let's all buy little ski boats, and drive them like jerks and wreck them, this may take some of the attention off performance boats.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:44 PM
CBPBA's Walmart Greeter
VIP Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hugetime1
Rarly do you see someone in a performance boat that doesn't know what they are doing, it is usually the bozo that just bought his first sea ray or ski boat, or someone in a little rental boat that does some thing stupid. . . .
There are bozo's in every category of boating, including those who run out and buy a performance boat, zipping across the water at high rates of speed with complete disregard for others and the rules of the road.

The reality is performance boat accidents get all the attention & drama, and it's enough to get the attention of authorities who will certainly do something irrational to try and "fix" the problem. There's a study underway in our area now to bring about boating drivers licenses. It's going to be a mess.

-----------------------------------------

CHESAPEAKE BAY POWER BOAT ASSOCIATION
'http://www.cbpba.com'

"Experience is something you don't have until just after you need it."
Old 06-17-2004, 10:36 PM
Registered

If you are found at fault in an accident on the water the other party should be absolved of any liability. That way, when a dumb ass on a jet ski pulls in front of me when i am cruising along at 80mph, and I run over him, All Is Good! If I veer left when a 65 foot cruiser is coming straight at me and we collide and I sink ...All Is Good. Most of us follow the rules realizing that "the rules" are just a set of standards that allow "me" to predict how "you" are going to react in a certain situation. The sooner we start sinking and running over those in the gene pool who will never get this the better. Licenses? We dont need no stinking licenses...
Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 AM
Registered

I don't know if they still do it but when i was in grade school everyone had to take a boaters safety class that taught the basics. I don't think there needs to be a license but requiring that class might be a good idea especially for the people that lack the ambition to learn on their own.

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.