Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Performance Boating License

Old 06-21-2004, 08:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Performance Boating License

Originally Posted by CMG
not so fast, read the article and you'll see the Fiores spoke to other hi-po boat builders (MTI, DCB) and suggested exploring licensing due to insurance rates and ambulance chasers.
Let Fiore stick to what he knows, building fast, beautiful boats.
He's not Thomas Jefferson.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aero-offshore
Insurance company's ar'nt going to give you a break because you got some piece of paper saying you past a written test! their gonna go by your past driving record, house insurance claims and credit report, most asses that drive like that do it on the road too! and as far as motorcycle endorsements, some states don't require it, it's up to the state in which you live. We don't need any more government involvement, if you see some ass doing something wrong inform them nicely, if they don't respond tell the other boaters with you at the marina and they'll gladly explain the rules of the water in a big group intervention!!!
I get a 15% discount for having passed a USCG approved Power Squadron course. We (the wife and I) took the course when we bought our first boat. It was great and has proved to be invaluable in our 20 years of boating.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hugetime1
this is the dumbist theing i have heard yet. Rarly do you see someone in a performance boat that doesn't know what they are doing, it is usually the bozo that just bought his first sea ray or ski boat, or someone in a little rental boat that does some thing stupid. rarley does somebody drop a quarter mil or more and buy a prformance boat as there first boat, usually by the time they step up to a go fast boat they have figured it out. so alls you would be doing is penalizing the ones that already know how to boat. it has to be all or nothing, and I say nothing, I will deal with a few stupid people to have my freedom. and do me a favor, stop talking about this, if some moron in politics see's these post and gets a crazy idea about licensing boaters, I will be pissed, we don't need to give them idea's

Be careful with that high performance boat arrogance. I know plenty of high perf. boaters that I simply stay away from cause of their reckless behavior behind the wheel. But I do agree with your general comment and Lake Lice are the worst.

We were within 10' of taking out a middle aged guy and his daughter on a SeaDoo a couple of years ago. We were cruising about 40mph and he came up on my right and cut directly in front of me. If anything had gone wrong with his turn, they would have been in serious trouble. I did not even have time to react
Old 06-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Registered

or how about todays fishing boats that run 100mph, would that fit into the performance catagory, or would that be a fishing boat, wouldn't seem fair if this guy didn't need a licence when the guy with a 242 baja with a 350 in it that only runs 55 would need a license. see the dilema, it just won't work, so let's all just exept the fact that a few people every year are going to die in boats, just like they do in cars, on motorcycles, on snowmobiles, or on a pair of roller skates. accidents happen. licensing will not change that, but like i stated earlier it will f#$k things up for us.
They get nicer insurance rates too

And take the course, might learn something, and most insurers give a small discount for it.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or how about todays fishing boats that run 100mph, would that fit into the performance catagory, or would that be a fishing boat.

There are fishing boats that run 100 mph? I want one of them.
Some states require that individuals buy a fishing lincense. of course no test is needed. There will never be a requirement for only a certain make boat. maybe for over a certain MPH, but enforcing it will be nearly impossible on the open ocean. and the big expensive boats can always be registered off shore, like most of the yachts i see in ft. lauderdale. I took the coast guard safety course when i was 9 and passed. i dont think that makes me qualified to run a 150 mph boat. only seat time can do that. captains liscenses are too time consuming so most people dont get them. I say make every boat do 150 and let darwinism figure out the rest.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member
VIP Member

Far as I am concerned there are far to many boaters out there who have zero idea of what they are doing. I live and boat on Long Island's Great South Bay and I can assure you that there are more fools in ALL kinds of boats who are a danger to themselves and all around them. These people buy usually the wrong boat for what they want to do and with only the instructions from the sales guy are on thier way. No wake zones mean nothing, right of way is who is bigger, watching weather is an unknown etc. There are soooooo many boats here, especialy week enders and just the number of them can be scary. As I said, I live on the water. I can sit out on my deck and see stuff that boggles the mind. I see Boat US and SeaTow bringing grounded boats, damaged boates etc in all the time.

My kids, wife and I took the Power Squadron course. My boys were 10 at the time, and studied like no bodies bussiness, helped the wife even. I have been boating for 20 years and learned a lot. Out of 60 people in the class, more than half the class got in the 70's or less. THe instructor asked us (we were done first and got 100's) to help the other adults so they could pass. These people could not even take the time to read the book let alone study. It was a rubber stamp and a joke to them.

We don't want the government to regulate us, but there are real problems out there. Maybe not on your lake, but on the bays and ocean here. We need forced training, and the only way to force it is to not allow you out there unless you get it. The only way to prove you got it is a license. The only argument is what kind of training. Lastly, for all the bone head boaters out there, if you blow it, you should lose it. Maybe then, we can still be able to go as fast as we want. The effort for this should come from us. But it won't. We will still be arguing about it when the decission is made for us. Too bad.....

Last edited by nolimits; 06-21-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Registered

lostinboston: yes many fishing boats run 100 or close to it, allison is a good example.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

while we are at it why don't we suggest a gas guzzler tax on boats.
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

while we are at it why don't we suggest a gas guzzler tax on boats.
I'll mention it to Reggie at the next board meeting.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:15 AM
Registered

It is nice to hear so many of you interested in the safety issue and understand that insurance is getting to be an issue. As someone who has been pushing the safety issues from inside an insurance company I wonder if everyone is willing to pay the price. Bob's comments are excellent, however very costly to the end boater and will not be picked up by an insurance company. Hopefully the manufacturers will help some, but it will likely be the end user who picks up most of the cost. The issue with performance boats is not necessarily the number of accidents, it is the severity of the accidents that do occur. Severity scares the %*&@ our of an insurance company and is what has killed several of the insurance programs out there. In the world of insurance, performance boating is the tip of an eyelash, and as we have seen, easily disposed of by high level execs who do not have the "love" of the sport. Normally what happens from an insurance company perspective, this market would be seen as "ripe" for a new market to enter, however because of the severity and yet several more accidents, including at poker runs I am willing to bet at least 1 more market exits before the year is over. Training is a must, as is your own common sense.
For reference I have spent the last 13 years inside 2 insurance companies at high levels, the last as director of marine insurance for Markel.
thanks for listening
Lenny

Quick Reply: Performance Boating License

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.