What the hell is a manatee? >

What the hell is a manatee?

Notices

What the hell is a manatee?

Old 07-01-2004, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What the hell is a manatee?

They are not native to this area. There are more now than their ever were, yet they are endangered.They travel through the deeper areas near the bottom, yet we have shallow areas that are idle only and deeper channels that we can cruise in.

The FWC refused to put out signs in the river hear for the holiday weekend so the envirofreaks were passing out signs to hold up to the boaters. I planned to hold up my sign in return until the county caved in to the wackos and decided to foot the bill for the signs.

I'm curious to see who is out there to enforce it as the FWC said it was unenforcable.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
very nice, I can't wait to show some chick my big manatee boxers!!!!
Tombone, yesterday my parents were up to visit our new place for the first time. I took them around the corner to Blue Springs. They had a pair of those very same drawers for sale in the concession. Mom said' "Oh, Joey, you should get a pair of those". I had to tell her that none of my boating freinds would speak to me if I wore those!
Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Manatee They are on the pages of PowerBoat Mag,

Wasabe, while I respect your opinion, I wonder if you would feel the same way if they closed down most of the water areas around the OC to powerboats because of manatees invading where you live???

WILL
You have a point. However, we don't go often enough and I'm more inclined accept that animals need their space. We took most of it from them. If a day of boating was canceled because of it well that's just tough luck unfortunately. I'll do something else like get to the house chores that I have been putting off... spend time at the swap-meet. But that's just me.

I'm so lame that I feel sick if I see a plant dying. Especially if it's on someone's yard. I feel that owning a plant is like owning a pet. "You are all that it has." It's depending on you to help it grow. I'm not a gung ho tree hugger like Leonardo DiCaprio however I try to do my part. I'm not scolding anyone. I just think it's sad. It makes me feel bad. It makes me sigh. That's all.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
http://www.americanscientist.org/art.../Gerstein.html

The problem to boaters is that manatees are attracted to the sounds of props and engine noises generated by boats. They swim toward your props almost instinctively. So laws to forces boaters to idle down coastline channels attracts these things in greater numbers. Why don't people get bent out of shape if a car hits a deer or runs over a possum? These things aren't meant to be in US waters anyways. Get some fishing boats to capture them and haul them back to the equator regions.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The problem to boaters is that manatees are attracted to the sounds of props and engine noises generated by boats. They swim toward your props almost instinctively. So laws to forces boaters to idle down coastline channels attracts these things in greater numbers. Why don't people get bent out of shape if a car hits a deer or runs over a possum? These things aren't meant to be in US waters anyways. Get some fishing boats to capture them and haul them back to the equator regions.

Interesting point! they have whistles for deer, why don't they design something to stear away the manatees
Old 07-02-2004, 05:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There already is something....and every power boat has one......the sound of a high speed prop.
Scientists claim the manatees can't hear, or ignor, the sound of a slow turning prop. But the high frequency sound of a prop turning fast scares them away.
Old 07-02-2004, 06:20 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wasabe
If a day of boating was canceled because of it well that's just tough luck unfortunately.

What you do not seem to grasp hear is that you will sell your boat and do a lot of house chores as they do not put these manatee zones up one day and take them away the next. They are there all the time, and they make no sence at all. You mentioned the Circle of life. Well maybe Gods master plan what that these things be gone a LONG time ago. Now us screwing with them to keep them around is going to kill off a lot of other things.

Jon
Old 07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Registered

Exactly. That's why we should be allowed to haul a$$. Since they are so slow, they won't be able to catch up to the props they are so attracted to
Old 07-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wasabe
We humans are pieces of crap for polluting the earth.
We humans are pieces of crap for creating litter that will kill them.
Animal minds do not develope like humans. That doesn't make them dumb. They lack the capacity in which God gave them. They were around long before Humans.

It saddens me to hear people say such things. I'm not self righteous. It sucks when people can be so careless and thoughtless. They can't help it. Us the pieces of crap can because we have the capacity.
I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion but it's easy to have a general opinion like that when you are not affected by the problem. Personally I have no problems with the animal, I have a problem with the richard-heads that lobby for them. Environmentalists for the most part are extremists. They are the Jimmy Buffetts of the world that are not basing their actions on science. Get a bunch of people that have nothing to do, give them a little financial backing and they will get a law passed. That's a fact. Us hard working people that don't have the time to form our own organizations or sometimes even the financial backing end up getting screwed. There have been several posts, one by our own BajaDaze I believe where the "Save the manatee" organization would not allow people to build docks on their canal front homes. HOWEVER, if they would join the club and pay 750.00 or so, they would get a dock permit. Does that sound right ? These people have nothing to do but aggravate the vast majority of us boaters. I personally am sick and tired of these dumba$$es and anyone who backs them.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a very good article and it says what we've been trying to say all along.
Fast boats are not the problem!
I've been told that by the FWC that most deaths are related to trauma from a blunt impact strike.
If they can't hear a slow boat approach imagine how lethal the keel of sail boat would be at 10 mph!
I think the answer is not maximum speed enforcement but minimum speeds.
Who's with me??
TS
TS

Quick Reply: What the hell is a manatee?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.