So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included >

So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included

Notices

So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included

Old 07-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included

BTW, Too Old will sell you those headers cheaper than you can get them direct.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two sets of Gils and both sets had water seeping thru were the core plugs are in the casting. The powder coating had bubbled up so I removed them and sandblasted all the powder coating off and and everything looked great except were the core plugs were they looked like a sponge and were porus so I ground all of aluminum were the plugs were and had a friend tig weld the holes, Pressure tested and no leaks.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its time to go strangle the guy who did the work on your boat. Hopefully the damage is not too extensive.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:31 PM
Registered

This is really nobody's fault. I flush the motors regularly but not religiously. I do half my boating in salt water, so maybe I should not have bought aluminum manifolds to begin with. They are about 5 yrs. old and about 300 hrs. of use. Don't know if this is the lifespan or not.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

Hey Pure is the exhaust shot or is it fixable? If it is fixable and you want to sell it let me know. I need a set real bad. I hope everything turns out ok for you.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boss252
Hey Pure is the exhaust shot or is it fixable? If it is fixable and you want to sell it let me know. I need a set real bad. I hope everything turns out ok for you.
A friend suggested milling the top and possibly welding some aluminum to fill in the corroded areas. Actually weld 1st, grind to shape then mill to a flat surface.

If you want a good set I am replacing both sets (twin engine) of Imco with CMI. The other set is only 3 yrs old. These are showing signs of corrosion too but not nearly as bad. I will have time tomorrow to take some pics and I will e-mail them to you. The risers are in perfect shape. I also have a few sets of extra gaskets. I will sell them if you are interested.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:04 PM
Speed is everything
Gold Member

I am interested in both sets. Send pictures and price to me at [email protected]

Thanks
Old 07-27-2004, 05:34 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
This is really nobody's fault. I flush the motors regularly but not religiously. I do half my boating in salt water, so maybe I should not have bought aluminum manifolds to begin with. They are about 5 yrs. old and about 300 hrs. of use. Don't know if this is the lifespan or not.

Nobodys fault ???

Boat in saltwater but don't flush religiously ???

Had you ever inspected the riser gasket in the last 5 years ???

Imco has some of the most durable aluminum manifolds around. The inners are anodized as well as the outer before assembly. Personally, I would not use the through riser water flow .. I've always used the bypass method ... can't trust the gasket.

G
Attached Thumbnails So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included-engines01.jpg  
Old 07-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Registered

Take it easy there Cig1. Motors sat in salt water for about 10 days a yr. while on vacation, and sometimes a few days after use other times before flushing. Riser gaskets changed at least twice a yr. and the surfaces inspected. I knew they were corroding but once it starts you can't stop it. Leakage was internal and excessive steam was not noticed till this season. I had a boat for 10 yrs. that sat in salt water for 6 months a yr. and never had a problem, diff. exhaust though.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Member #2 ....Jeeezz
Charter Member

It's all good ...

I'm just saying what other people are thinking ... the board has gotten so politically correct that no one wants to criticize anyone or any boat. This place is getting a little boring. Many of the old-schoolers won't get into it because it's gotten so serious when it comes to talking about hardware

I just trying to stoke the fires ... get some people excited

Peace

G

Quick Reply: So much for Imco exhaust & salt water-pics included

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.