Notices

towing with a topkick

Old 09-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: towing with a topkick

I have been looking too.

I have a couple buddies who have a lot of experience with vehicles. They purchase used vehicles at auctions and have them hauled to supply the smaller used car dealers. Their take is a dually is more functional for everyday use. If you tow the trailer (boat) somewhere you still have a reasonable vehicle to move around town.

An aquaintance had an 89 F-700 diesel, set up for just hauling trailers like mobile homes, with a dual sleeper for $12,000 with only 126m miles. I calculated that by time I reconditioned the paint, interior, some slight suspension and a couple seals in the engine, I could get a 2-3 year old 3500 turbo diesel and not have a limited resale special use truck.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last comment, I do like how the big rigs look!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The 8.2 was a pig. Especially the non turbo version. They do some weird things like swap antifreeze into the fuel tank and vice versa. The last truck I bought had the 8.2 Turbo. It puked at 68k. GM would only pay half of the NINE THOUSAND dollar repair bill.

They are totally worn out at 200k.

Believe me, I have owned several of them back when I was a Snap On tool dealer.

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 09-01-2004 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:09 AM
WickedWon

The ride sucks, the 8.2's suck and the market for them is tiny. As soon as you get over the "this is a REAL truck fantasy" you'll hate it.

PS Women will NOT ride in them a SECOND TIME because of the beating you take on many road surfaces.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big truck looks cool!!!

But, like wickedone said, horrible ride, can't use everyday, bad motor, and terrible resale. The true cost of buying a new Chevy, Ford, or Dodge with the warrantees after bought and sold will come out less money and fewer headaches from repairs.

I am not telling you to buy a Renegade but I just like the functionality of the RV part and the towing strength of the Freightliner power. Remember guys have a way of justify spending $100,000 to save on a $100 a night hotel.

Mark Smith
Old 09-01-2004, 07:38 AM
Registered

How about one of these "Bad Boy's" !!!! Cat Powered.....

http://www.f650pickups.com/indexb.html
Attached Thumbnails towing with a topkick-f650.jpg   towing with a topkick-xtreme1.jpg   towing with a topkick-xtreme4.jpg  

Old 09-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Registered

or, if you want it in 4X4.....
Attached Thumbnails towing with a topkick-f650-4x4.bmp  
Old 09-01-2004, 09:13 AM
Registered

I tow about 25k a yr with my rock crawl racing (more counting the boat) and I've looked hard at this.

There is just no way to justify it financially or practically unless you exceed the capacity of today's one ton's (what I use now), which is about 14-16k of trailer.

Even the air bag ones ride pretty rough- still sprung in front. The mileage is at least a few digits worse. the truck is 4-6k heavier so it's a pig compared to a warmed up one ton diesel. no 4x4 available (or at least real rare and many of us need that). Most top out somewhere near 70, can be a consideration if traffic moves at 80+ at 7 over the posted 75mph etc.

Despite all this, I was considering it because if you buy it right (and used), you may be able to take less depreciation hit 50k miles later. My main driver was to get something with a small 10-12' box that i could have a few bunks in, captains chairs and the crew/family could go in comfort, sleep on the 20+ hr runs.

Now if you just want another pimp toy and you've got a place to keep it, don't mind a dedicated single purpose vehicle that needs maintenance etc. that's another thing. Plenty of older diesel dually's around at great prices too.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:11 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We wanna see pics PUDER and details if you are gonna pass on it.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:29 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

well after reading biggus' comment oneth engien being a pig and dead at over 200k miles (this one has 350k) i think this one will be a pass.

Here is the ebay auction (the seller is local here in NY)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Quick Reply: towing with a topkick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.