Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What drives?

www.zf-marine.com/surfacedrives/index.cfm
Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Geoo's old setup didn't even have a tranny. Motor spins, prop spins. On or Off nothing inbetween. Not particularly friendly around the docks.

His newer setup may be different.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GEOO, George had a simple plan of attack when building his 18' Donzi.

No 18' Flat Bottom V drive has a tranny and there are thousands of those, why then did he need one?

That plus he did not have the space for a transmission and drive line.

Worked really well as he has hit 120 in the little rocket!
Old 09-03-2004, 02:21 AM
Registered

Trimax G-drive for a Yanmar 440hp (just under 800 lb. of torque) is approximately $ 5000. Once again, the trouble is the fact that the entire transom needs to be configured for this drive system. Ideally, the boat needs to be designed around this drive system. When the boat is correctly balanced and intended for Trimax, trim ability becomes a very overrated thing. I never felt the need to trim mine. Large "SeaPlanes" tabs come with the setup and do a fine job in dealing with any correction you need to make. Naturally, trimming becomes important in racing when you need to get those last 2 or 3 mph but in a pleasure boat, I'd gladly trade those 2 mph in favor of not having to worry about leaks, changing seals, gaskets, O-rings and whatnot. Besides, Trimax has other advantages which compensate for this inability to trim and which make it just as fast if not faster than other surface drive systems. Best ideas are often the simplest ones...
Old 09-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Just thought that I'd post this pic. Seems it wouldn't be that difficult to fab something like this up. A pair of them would make for a killer swim platform!

ST-your drive price seems to be extreamly good. What all are you including in that number? Rudder/steering? Trans? Transom assembly? Prop?
Attached Thumbnails What drives?-1017.jpg   What drives?-1016.jpg  

Last edited by Cord; 09-03-2004 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cord
Just thought that I'd post this pic. Seems it wouldn't be that difficult to fab something like this up. A pair of them would make for a killer swim platform!

ST-your drive price seems to be extreamly good. What all are you including in that number? Rudder/steering? Trans? Transom assembly? Prop?
Speaking of swim platforms.... No one mentioned the pulse drive. These surface drives may not be as "Hard core" as the arneson etc but seem well suited to a recreational performance boat, better for families, rafting up etc. I If I recall, these had some larger torque capacities as well. I looked pretty hard at them last yr but ended up buying an 03 single vs building a new twin boat.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Registered

Trimax rear platform makes for a real good swim platform with molded steps and grabrails to make water access easy. It also effectively deals with the danger of jumping in water and getting too friendly with cleaver blades like possible with Arnesons.

As far as prices are concerned, 5K is for the drive only. It includes the shaft, the thrust ball, transom assembly, oil tank, ventilation tubes and rudder. But Trimax is actually sold in kits. A 2 drive kit is around 40K. That includes everything except the engine: the drive, steering, the transom assemblies, two rudders and ZF trannies as well. Just add motors...
Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

That doesn't sound too bad. Anybody know what two Arneson #8's would run?

Quick Reply: What drives?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.