Notices

What drives?

Old 09-03-2004, 09:27 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: What drives?

Got any pics of that Trimax platform?
Also, if you've only got a single, can you divide that 2nd package in half?
Old 09-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The cost of the Arneson ASD8 in-line drives for the Yanmar 440's is $13,655.00 ea. complete with the hydraulics, external hoses, backing plates, mounting bolts and trim pumps. You will need a marine gear but you do not need a boat specifically designed around the outdrive.

Every I/O has O-rings and pumps so I do not feel we are making a maintenance nightmare by using them also as there are more than 1000:1 I/O’s to Surface Drives out there.

Slow speed maneuverability is far better with a drive that can vector thrust as you do not rely upon the accelerated water effect over a rudder.

Fixed surface drives are nothing new. We made them back in the early 70's ourselves and abandoned them in favor of something better. I’ve got an old, old by my standards, book on performance boating published in 1948 and on the cover is an Alfa Romero boat with twin V8’s and fixed surface drives. The engines were staggered too. Basically they are just a ski boat drive system mounted on the transom vs. under the bottom.

As far as jumping off the transom and landing upon a propeller, we have made propeller guards for this situation.

Choose what ever drive you can afford, fits your boat and can live with. Someone can point out all the negatives and positives of each option so you will need to weight all these factors, large and small, out to make a wise decision.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just Curious But What Size Props Are You Runnunig On The Callan Marine Boat, And What Gear Ratio?
Old 09-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rik how have you been? How would a single arneson work on a little 21'. I am building one now and have considered it. What would the distance from transom to front of engine be?

Beau Renfroe
Old 09-03-2004, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BMCCRAY
Just Curious But What Size Props Are You Runnunig On The Callan Marine Boat, And What Gear Ratio?
We run a wide variety of gears and props. At the Shootout (turbine power), we ran 16.5"x26" props and a 1:1 ratio. Racing offshore (V12's), we run gears as high as 1.68 and props as large as 17"x38.5".