Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again! >

750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Notices

750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Old 09-17-2004, 03:38 PM
WickedWon

Default Re: 750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Originally Posted by 26scarab
I always thought of Sterling as the ultimate in engine builders. I had a friend that used to work there back in the Alcone days and some of the things I heard really impressed me.
I also remember seeing a post of one of the Saber guys that filled a motor up with water on Saturday and by Wed. the motor had been gone thru and dynoed. That was pretty impressive. Unless Sterling is one of those companies that only knows who you are if your spending over 100k a year with them and forgets about the little guy.
I do know I emailed them with some questions on my heads that were supposedly ported by them (old "B" class motor) and never heard from them.
Yup that was me, a failed intercooler pumped water into the engine. Saber had it out and to Sterling in two days, Sterling went thru it, on the dyno and ready for pick up in three days. That's service and why I've been dealing with Saber and Sterling for well over ten years. Sterling is the ultimate engine builder and has developed many proprietary componets which has enabled them to continually raise the bar that everybody else chases. All their stuff is hardcore but Zul has a better feel for what the customer wants in the under 800hp range and has done a good job of balancing drivability and componet cost to create the best package for the typical "lean on it once in awhile" customer. Just reading this will probably make D'anniballe ( Sterling) rethink his small motor program I'll be expecting a call shortly

Sorry buddy facts is facts and you know me......

Old 09-17-2004, 03:42 PM
WickedWon

Originally Posted by Half Nutz
Jim and Jerry!!!!

Kiss my AZZ!! Rice burner boys!!!

Dan
UHHH.... doesn't your wife sell ...........HONDAS ?!?!?!?

Old 09-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah yeah!!!

See ya when I get back from Florida. (finally got the jet fueled up!!)

Dan
Old 09-17-2004, 05:02 PM
RHC
Registered

Originally Posted by WickedWon
UHHH.... doesn't your wife sell ...........HONDAS ?!?!?!?
and,,, I thought that you were gona say!!! She sells Honda to keep the Merc's running!!

ONE MORE WEEKEND ,, THATS ALL I WANT !!!

RHC
Old 09-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are more catty than a bunch of women in a titty club.

Seems that by far the majority of you have not had any experience with either of the two builders in this question. I think Zuhl is great as well but I’ve purchase Sterling’s engines and I have not had the problems everyone “assumes” such as call backs, customer service, engine life and drivability.

Some here have pointed to the case that involves one particular Cigarette. Was there any other of these same boats with the same problem? Are one of you the owner, or just heard it from another that heard it from another? Most importantly was the situation taken care of? Regardless of the engine builder if they do not stand behind the product then the purchase price is of no value to the customer.

Both of the engine builders have excellent work ethics and capabilities. Seems everyone though thinks of Sterling as a snobbish company and that is far out of line with reality from my experience. I’ve ran their Modified class motors and their blower motors as well as an ordinary naturally aspirated customer motor.

While I have never dealt with Zuhl, I am certain that he can provide engines capable of meeting the customer’s expectations equally as well.

One thing is for certain, regardless of who built it, they all blow up if pushed long and hard enough.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 108 Posts

[QUOTE=Rik]You guys are more catty than a bunch of women in a titty club./QUOTE]

Old 09-18-2004, 05:12 AM
Registered

Thanks to all for mentioning our company. To answer several questions. Our engines are completely EFI controlled. The greatest benefits over carb are that the engines distribute the exact amount of fuel needed into each cylinder, and returns the rest to the fuel tank. This means the engines utilize a perfect air/fuel ratio which, in turn, makes them much more efficient, and user friendly than a carbed engine. It also greatly increases fuel economy, and power. Most of all it greatly increases reliability.
These engines are much more reliable than a carbed engine because they are self monitoring, and utilize knock sensors. This allows you to run 87 octane if needed. In fact, we did a poker run to Key West in the Cyclone NorTech, and ran 87 octane the whole time, as better fuel was not available on 1200HP EFI's.
As for parts, we utilize the best parts available on the market, and are testing for several large engine component builders. This allows us to constantly improve our build sheet. We also utilize the best accessories available, including: Billet crossover and power steering system, serpentine belt system, and 125 amp alternator, which allows for big stereo power. We also custom paint and powdercoat all of our engines at no additional charge, including pearls, Kandys, graphics, etc. because we prefer both style and function.
We also offer a 1 year warranty ( a real warranty), which very few builders do.

These engines were developed for guys who would rather spend all their time on the water than on the trailer. They were designed to provide great power at low RPM's. They are also completely self contained including thermostatically controlled oil system, preluber, quick oil change system, coolers, etc., and also have a Merc wiring harness.

Lastly, as for service, any Mercruiser dealer in the country can service these engines. The computer systems are very simple, and can be diagnosed with a Merc scan tool.

We offer carbureted engines too, but with our EFI engines, we haven't been building very many. The future is here, and it's less expensive than most think.
Anyone interested is welcome to come in any time and schedule a demo on one of our Nor techs to see these engines in action.

Also feel free to call or email with any questions, as there is alot to these. Our biggest goal is to get our customers on the water, and keep them there. This is a hobby to us all, and there is nothing worse than engine problems to ruin it.

Steve
Old 09-18-2004, 02:55 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said.
So you use the Merc efi system? Or at least the ECM?

How much to convert a carb motor?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 26scarab
Unless Sterling is one of those companies that only knows who you are if your spending over 100k a year with them and forgets about the little guy.
I had two 510 c.i./650 H.P. motors built by Sterling a couple years ago. I am one of "the little guys". Everyone in the shop is very personable ... I am on a first-name basis with most of them.

Mike has ALWAYS called me back within 24 hours (if not the same day) if I had a question or problem.

The motors have been turn-key. They were dialed in perfectly on delivery, idle at 500 rpm in gear without stalling, have never touched timing or carbs. They do not burn oil.

Once lost a distributor drive gear in one, but it was repaired and back in the boat in less than ten days in the middle of summer/racing season.

Had another problem with reversion due to exhaust configuration. Pulled the head and took it up to to them ... they pressure tested it WHILE I WAITED! Also found a suspicious line in one of the cylinders I thought might be a crack. Even though they are not a rigging/installation shop, Mike told me to bring the boat up. Within 15 minutes of my arrival, there were three guys in the engine bay (including Mike himself) checking it out. Turned out to be just a waterline from the reversion. Save me from having to pull the motor!

I have spent HALF AS MUCH with other "expert" high-performance engine builders TWICE, and still ended up with three years of frustration, a pile of junk parts, and inordinate attorney fees.

I feel I definately got what I paid for with Sterling.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
That's a fact.
However, how many motors does Zul have in a supercat? How about TMP?
If I was buying a spercat tomorrow, I would probably use Sterling (is any other brand legal by the way, I don't keep up with that stuff).
However, we're talking about a pleasure boat and not a supercat. I don't see what one has to do with the other.
Supercat motors are not high hp blower motors, they are naturally aspirated motors in the 750 hp range. Based in the number of championships they have under their belt I would say they have those motors figured out too, not just the big blower stuff.

You can run any brand provided you use the required parts, like the ABPA brodix heads.

Quick Reply: 750 sterling vs 750 Zuls............Again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.