Notices

merc synthetic oil ?

Old 10-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: merc synthetic oil ?

Originally Posted by Chris288
Hydro, not thrilled about the vis. of straight 15-50 so I was going to mix castrol 20-50 and make my own syn. blend,, for slightly better oil pressure. I haven't read an article yet that said don't mix oils. Amsoil says you can mix and I think castrol said you can mix as well, just amsoil says their extended drains might be compromised if mixed.
Well Amsoil has a lot of opinions that's for sure. A general rule is once over to synthetic and you should remain with it. If I were going to mix I would do it in a fashion that Merc does with it's 25W40W.

They mix in a portion of a premium 25W with a portion of a straight 40W.
So I would not personally mix multi-vis oils. Synthetics pump differently than conventionals. You won't know what the heck you have when you are done. It may be great and it may not be so good. It certainly will not be a tested formulation.

I would not do this Chris.

Use what Mc uses: Shell 15W-40 Rotella it's wonderful stuff. Use Kendall 20W-50 it's superb. Take the winter to think over using synthetic oil. I don't know what more I can do to convince you that Redcap Mobil-1 15W-50 is perfect as it pumps like a 15W-40.

With all the changes taking place with GH-4 conversion and additive levels changing this is not a great time to make big changes.

Ask Mc for an opinion about mixing he would be the expert and I would respect what he says Chris. Just Pm him and post the reply if you wish.

See this stuff pictured below. It is what Merc says to use in it's manual for the 1075's. It is the best conventional out there.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-04-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
Whad ya mean! 5 out of the first 9 posts are from you 'tard boy!!!
I have a bad oil addiction problem. What is wrong with me? From the oil wells to the crankcase I am hooked.

I just realized that just about everything ending with "tard" is not good.
I must have rode a camel in another life. What can I say?

Truthfully though petrochemical engineering is a very interesting subject. It has been fun researching and interacting with everyone on this subject.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-04-2004 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: merc synthetic oil ?

alright,, 9 quarts of Mobil 1 15-50 it is,, w/ an amsoil filter,, I ain't sending them back too .. LOL...
Old 10-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
alright,, 9 quarts of Mobil 1 15-50 it is,, w/ an amsoil filter,, I ain't sending them back too .. LOL...
The Amsoil filter is made by Baldwin ; it is a top-drawer filter.

I just read where mixing different oil bases can cause the oils to form a gelatin like mess. You will be happy with Redcap.

Here is a Baldwin premium oil fliter it's the same as you have I am sure. Outstanding filter. But expensive.
Attached Thumbnails merc synthetic oil ?-lubegraphic.jpg  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 10-05-2004 at 04:19 PM.