Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people. >

Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

Notices

Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

So this Red Hawk nest has been in place for over ten years overlooking Central Park. 23 "little hawks" have been born and raised from this nest. No problems for ten years now. Just the spectacle of people in NYC being able to see nature in action.

So some azzhole for fear of "disease from decaying prey" will somehow infiltrate the building and kill everyone, tore the nest down, which of course has sparked outrage.

Just another classic case of one jerk ruining something for so many other people. I HATE people like that. It's why I like animals better, they're more honest.

Mary Tyler Moore who lives in the building where the nest was is one of the people who is really speaking out against this. Apparently there were other options on the table, but this jerk just tore it down. It looks like they might be trying to rebuild it.

I'd love to throw that jerk right off the building. The world, and the hawks, would be a better place without him.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:12 PM
AIRTIME

Angry Re: Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

DOES HE HAVE A NAME ,

Old 12-10-2004, 03:17 PM
Charter Member #319
Charter Member

Default Re: Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

Do you own a gun

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΈ!
Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Registered

not trying to stir any chit here, but from another point of view..I live out in the country where Red Tailed Hawks take a considerable toll on the more desired wildlife populations like pheasants, quail, rabbits, other small game and also pets. Hawks do sometimes carry diseases obtained from diseased prey and it is quite possible for them to pass those diseases on to pets if they are attacked and survive, now a disiased pet comes in contact with a small child......... highly unlikley yes......impossible NO.

again not trying to stir chit, simply posting another point of view.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Registered

I live around the corner from the building in question. While I do not have an opinion on what they did, the reason you cited above is not correct. The story is somewhat different than what may have been reported. There were reasons the building voted to tear the nest down. First, high powered telescopes setup in Central Park, across the street, are used by the public to watch the hawks. However, on days when the hawks are out flying or are being boring, the public has been using the telescopes to look into the windows of the residents of the building. The building is an extremely expensive coop occupied by some very famous personalities who began to feel their privacy was being more and more interrupted by the abuse of the telescopes people were setting up in the park. And, at an average selling price of more than $16 million per apartment, the residents wanted more privacy. Secondly, the hawks began to expand their nest and started chipping away at the mortar holding the limestone squares of the facade together, and began inserting sticks into the crevices the chipping created. This was ruled a hazard and the facade was in danger of cracking and falling off in certain places...which is an all too common occurence in NYC and is a very real safety hazard. Apparently, the last straw was when the hawks killed nearly a dozen pigeons last week in a 2-3 day spree and left carcasses all over the front sidewalk. The residents were very put off by that and decided they had had enough and voted to tear the nest down, which all state and federal agencies has ruled was within their legal rights to do.

Personally, I think that Paula Zahn's (of CNN fame) husband, the coop board's chairman, forced a vote because his wife felt her privacy was being invaded. I don't know it that is true but that seems to be the most likely story and is cited by numerous sources.

Perhaps the hawks should have been allowed to stay. I thought they were cool. But, now NYC is looking at building a sanctuary in Central Park for the birds and the hawks have been seen checking out other buildings in the neighborhood where they might relocate. I'm sure that the hawks will be okay.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Registered

If people are not already dieing in droves due to disease infested rats and pigeons, I highly doubt a few Red Tail Hawks are going to cause an epidemic of pestilence and death.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:20 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....take down the telescopes and leave the hawks alone!! Just my 2 cents
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink Re: Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

Has anything interesting been reported from the voyeurs during the boring hawk times? Details... I need details.

Last edited by Edward R. Cozzi; 12-10-2004 at 09:26 PM. Reason: forgot punctuation
Old 12-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Registered

I own too many guns, according to my wife anyway.

There were some interesting points made in the above posts. As we put a man on the moon thirty five years ago, you would have thought the mighty city of New York could have built some type of nest for the hawks to relocate to BEFORE they tore down the original one.

As far as the privacy issue goes, if one of our "revered" celebrities doesn't want their privacy invaded they could always close the curtains, or if they want to still look out the window, put a film on the glass. And I suppose someone could catch something, somehow, but since it hasn't happened in ten years, I personally wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.

Down here if you disturb an Osprey or Eagle's nest you get fined big time.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:32 AM
Registered

I have to agree and say this should have been done in a more planned out manner by preparing some sort of sanctuary or new nesting area. I am sure that these "celebrities" could have put some cash together and someone would have been up to the task...They could have even gotten some good publicity out of it. Now with that said this reminds me of a little problem down south with manatees and manatee zones....oops did I say that ...

Quick Reply: Red Hawk nest in NYC torn down, why I hate people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.