Notices

Which camera to buy?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Which camera to buy?

I was looking and comparing yesterday and a well known photographer I know that shoots alot of offshore race pic's, told me to go with the Canon EOS 20D. About $1500.00 for the body and about $1600.00 with a 18-55 Zoom. ????? He liked it much better than the Nikon ???? I still am leaning towards the Nikon tho. Dave
Old 12-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardey
I was looking and comparing yesterday and a well known photographer I know that shoots alot of offshore race pic's, told me to go with the Canon EOS 20D. About $1500.00 for the body and about $1600.00 with a 18-55 Zoom. ????? He liked it much better than the Nikon ???? I still am leaning towards the Nikon tho. Dave
Little more money you can get a 28/135 with IS and a 100/400 with IS (18/55 will not let you reach out and get the shots) which covers just about the whole rangr for taking photos of boats. Love my Canon stuff. Just my thoughts.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to fry's today to test the difference between the FZ20 and FZ15...maybe I'll post the results later.... I read most of the manual so I should know sort of what I am doing.... I usually don't read the directions and most of the time I get by on my own without any help.

Ernie
Old 12-18-2004, 02:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TopSpin80
I'm going to fry's today to test the difference between the FZ20 and FZ15...maybe I'll post the results later.... I read most of the manual so I should know sort of what I am doing.... I usually don't read the directions and most of the time I get by on my own without any help.

Ernie
Supposed the FZ-20 is where they went to ED glass and that just means less barrrel distortion. Something you may or may not see as it occurs at full zoom. The FZ-20 does have a new 3rd generation CCD Panasonic calls it a Venus II engine. Big word for a chip.

What does the new ccd offer the previous? Mostly just a bit faster is all.

So you may not see a huge difference between an FZ-10 and FZ-15. I will do a cut and paste and a mini-comparisom of the three and see what we find in the next post.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Which camera to buy?

Pictures from Steve's Test Site

Panasonic FZ-10 top left

FZ 15 top right

FZ-20 Bottom

Very close pictures. My observation is looking at the little white fence on the bottom left of the picture. The FZ10 is pretty sharp; the FZ-15 a bit less sharp; the FZ-20 white fence is sharp.

The FZ-10 and 15 are 4MP cameras. The FZ-20 5.3 MP

Supposedly the ED glass on the FZ-20 brought the performance up to where it has been touted as the best digital under a grand. The FZ 10 looks pretty darned good to me. Not sure why the FZ-15 is lagging a bit.

You will see more of a difference in blow-ups I am sure. But all all pretty decent; I can't say much other than I note a bit of sharpness in detail wil the FZ-20 is all.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
Wardey,

Pictures from Steve's Test Site:

That 20D is a very nice camera. Great reviews! A couple steps above the EOS Digital Rebel and a step above the D70. That 8.2 MP CMOS sensor will make for some awesome LARGE prints. Some people will say that this is meaningless as they do not do large prints, but one thing reviewers point out is it still makes a difference when you are cropping and 'blowing up' those areas. It also has a fast start-up (pretty much instant-on) like the D70 and does something like 5 fps continuous shooting with a huge picture buffer. A great camera for sports or action shots.

In looking around the 'net the body-only runs about $1,400 to $1,550. The kit with that 18-55mm lense looks to run around $1,600+. Just be forewarned, if it is the same lense as found on the EOS Digital Rebel kit (and it looks to be), it is a marginal lense. You'd be far better off buying the body and going with a higher quality Canon zoom lense, but now you will be up in the $1,800 to $2,500 range when all said and done.

These DSLR's are just like computers....keep getting better and better and the price stays the same or even drops
It bugs me that Canon has a lower quality lens and then some very good lenses. WIth Nikon you get topdrawer lenses in every case.

Here is the FZ-20 top left; Nikon D-70 top right and Canon 20D bottom.

Well the pictures were taken from somewhat different angles making it a bit harder to judge. I will only say the Nikon D-70 and Panasonic FZ-20 have more color saturation. The Canon has notably less. Is the Canon a bit less sharper on the white bottom left fence?? Possibly. Based on this comparison I would take a closer look at the 20D.

There is a reason why D-70's are the most selling DSLR in '04. I am not convinced unless you are nuts to get the Leica D 9 system that I would get any other DSLR but the D-70. I still maintain the FZ-20 can hold it's own.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 12-18-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am just going to keep using my large format stuff for a little while more. You know with the 10X12 negatives
Old 12-18-2004, 03:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve's Test site Pics

Minolta A2 left; Panasonic FZ-20 right

The A2 costs $ 900 and the FZ-20 $500...you tell me... this is an easy one!
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Steve's Site test Pictures

Sony CD 350 Left and Panasonic Rt

Sony is a $ 350-400 camera.
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2004, 03:36 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Troutly
I think what makes it a bit harder to judge is the postage stamp size pics you are using!

and how do you compare pics taken at different times? the cars, trees are different.. the flags are blowing different directions... i would assume you need to take them back to back to really compare them...?

Quick Reply: Which camera to buy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.