Notices

Career advice needed!!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career advice needed!!

I need some advice or direction from my fellow OSO members. I’m a very talented 25yr old that is not sure of what career I should be looking into. Currently I am a shop manager for a great Car & Truck Accessories shop in Clintion Twp, Michigan (www.ss586.com). I have been employed there for 6 years and installing for 8 years. I’m awesome at what I do but I feel I have reached the top of the ladder. I am one of the best installers in our area, I have done many custom installs on boats as nice as 2003 59' Viking sport sedan, audio install that have shown in magazines, including fiberglass, experience with epoxy on my own boat (replaced transom), have build displays for Nokia Corp. and our show room, prototype install that were used to approach Ford Motor Company. I am great with wood, Formica, fiberglass, auto and marine electronics, and auto and marine repair. I like a challenge and am great with problem solving. I am definetly mechanically inclined. I think of opening my own shop but not sure if I want to compete against all the local business. What is a good field to go in with my type of knowledge? Should I consider opening my own shop? I am looking to make a good living so that my soon to be wife will not have to work when we have kids, I don’t want to have to sell my boat or other toys when the time comes.

Love to hear your thoughts, Thanks Kyle

Last edited by kmiller; 01-03-2005 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 01-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Career advice needed!!

Become a teenager and sell watches over the internet.

Actually opening your own shop sounds like a good plan, but if it is competition you are worried about, you have to find a place where there is less of it.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you should go for it and go on your own.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

There are a couple of us here on the board that are in the same line of work as yourself. If you have the talent and knowledge as you say then you should be good doing anything in this field on your own. (not saying you don't have the knowledge)

I started mine up 8 yrs ago. I was 28 yrs old when I went out on my own and took the plunge. I had been working at a factory for ten years...since I was 18. I took every penny of retirement I had and started it up. I was scared as hell! Times were tough for awhile. Some people said I was stupid for trying it...now they want a piece of the cake too. Hard work and perseverance has paid off though. We just moved into our new facility and the business has never had a year that we have been down in sales.

Feel free to PM if you want. I would be more than happy to give you my number.

Go with your heart. Your still young. I knew if I failed at my age I was young enough to start over in life. If you wait another 10-12 yrs to try it will be too late. Your family won't be able to suffer through the hard times.

Buck
Old 01-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Talking Re: Career advice needed!!

kmiller, where do you work? Im a firefighter in Clinton twp. I love my job the pay isnt to shabby the benefits are good and we work about 12 shifts a month. Lots of time off for boating or a side job so you can afford to own a boat.
Im also in need of some stereo help on my boat. I really suck at electronics so i need someone who knows what the hell all these wires go too.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:58 PM
Registered

You are definitely at the age to start your own business and can afford to be more risky now than later in life. With the skills you have attained no matter what happens you will always be able to find work. Just make sure you take all of the business aspects into account because you can't rely on your technical skills alone to make a complete business work. Definitely take buck183 up on his offer since he well knows what lies ahead for you. Also, some colleges that offer business degrees will help put business cases together for small business owners at little to no cost. Maybe call some colleges in your area and discuss those possibilities with the Dean of the business school. I know some people who have gotten valuable information that way.

Good Luck!!!
Old 01-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Registered

Ya go on your own .. BE AGRESSIVE, dont lose sight of your goals and the money will come.. Ya like id know anything bout that
Old 01-03-2005, 09:06 PM
Registered

I started my shop in 99 and have done pretty good for myself, I know I wont make a million dollars a year, but I live comfortable, and my freedom to be my own boss, you dont mind going that extra step. Could not ever go back to a time clock.

Give it 110% and you cant loose. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Dono

Do you know Lary Gill from the Clintion River fire house? I have done side work for him, great guy lives up past marine city. Let me know what you are looking to do. Kyle
Old 01-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Registered

Gotta go with what you feel, everyone is offering very good advice here. It takes a lot of hard work and devoition to make it happen. Dono I think you guys are crasy but do appreciate what you do.
Attached Thumbnails Career advice needed!!-22bd1713small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Career advice needed!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.