Best Late Model 30'-35' Twin? >

Best Late Model 30'-35' Twin?

Notices

Best Late Model 30'-35' Twin?

Old 01-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Best Late Model 30'-35' Twin?

You're right. Dreamers would be an excellent choice. Unfortunatly it would also be way too much money.
I've just about given up on this as I find myself looking for a Cigarette on a Bayliner budget.
I'm afraid to sell the Active Thunder because I may not find a suitable replacement. I would probably be taking it in the shorts if trading with a dealer.
Oh well,
Maybe next year...
Old 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Just keep your eyes peeled for another good Thunder... You know you can't go wrong with an AT...
Yeah Cigs are nice...but $200k for a 30' with black engines????????
Take a look at a Superboat too...
Pantera has plans for a 32' as well.
Sonic will get you bang for the buck, but you'll need Serious power to see 80+.

The Nordic should get a good look. Powerboat just tested one with V-10s.... Sweet.

Then there's Lavey Craft....
Or find a nice Formula FT.
Oh, and Donzi now offers us a 35 ZR....

Choices Choices Choices....

Pick your budget.. then everyone will help you narrow it down.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Steve_H

Originally Posted by Gordo
You're right. Dreamers would be an excellent choice. Unfortunatly it would also be way too much money.
I've just about given up on this as I find myself looking for a Cigarette on a Bayliner budget.
I'm afraid to sell the Active Thunder because I may not find a suitable replacement. I would probably be taking it in the shorts if trading with a dealer.
Oh well,
Maybe next year...
Mike , with all your talent why dont you look for something without power and needs some work? in the mean time theres plenty of us you can hitch rides with.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You mean there's something else than a Cigarette?
Old 01-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Steve,
I've been looking for something like that, but those deals are few and far between, and go quick when they do.
Troutly,
I'm the typical boat shopper. I started out looking at older Scarabs, Formulas and Fountains in the $40k-$50K range. For a little more I could get a little newer and a little faster. I've spent a lot of time talking to some highly respected and knowledgeable members about the Cigarette, Apache, and a few others. Now I'm into the $50-$60 range for an older boat again. Since I am single white trash, on a single firefighters salary, (read; "poor"), I would be foolish to think I could afford anything over $80k for 12 years. Another issue is my shop is 24' x40' so a 33' boat on the trailer is about max. I would love a 35 or a 38, but that brings up storage issues. Besides, the power to weight ratio of a 31 or 32 seems better than that of a 35 or 38. I realize that is not always true, but that's why I asked about different hulls speeds with equal power earlier in the thread. I would really like to have the speed of a newer step bottom boat, but nothing can be touched for under $100k. I have to admit, I fell in love with the 30 Mystique that Phil Lipschultz had. Small, quick, nimble, light weight. Not sure what it sold for, but I'm sure it was out of my range anyway. Since creature comforts are not a big issue, I would love to find a somewhat late model Factory 2 race boat that I can install a kind of "cover-girl" cabin myself. Again, I always seem to be "just out of the price range".
I know, same story, different boater.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

As I read the previous post, I realize I maybe a bit hung up on the step bottoms. I've also seen a couple of beautiful Powerplays, (i.e. Wizard of Oz), a nice Hustler or two, and a couple of beautiful Active Thunders. I think If Todds AT, (Best Revenge) would have had split bolsters he would have sold it long ago. Fred is right, the Sutphen is also a screamer with a traditional bottom. I've not really been a Fountain fan in the past, but you just can't argue the speed they get out of a base power boat. Since performance is key to what I want, I keep going back to race boats. The old Factory2 "Virgin" or the "Maxx" boats would be fun. I saw an old Factory 2 Nor-Tech somewhere. If that was the old Mastry Marine boat, that would have been a sweet setup. The old "AC Delco" Fountain was a fast boat. What ever happened to these?
By the way, here is a pic of the Mystique that I was told went to Phil LipSchultz...

Well, I was gonna post it but someone seems to have erased it. (freakin A-shift guys).
I'll find it when I get home.

Last edited by Gordo; 01-23-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordo,

though it may not be as much of a wave crusher as a factory race boat, PowerQuest have a few boats in your size range and quite possibly your price range...the new 300 revenge does better than 80 on stock 496hos....and a 340 viper will do 80 on 502s with a little work done, (both with twin steps).....like i said it wouldnt be the best wave crusher, but they do build a helluva boat
Old 01-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gordo,

I like my American Offshore cat for speed and ride at LOTO... mine is a 2004 with 496 mag HO's and i have seen 94 GPS at LOTO on a nice 75 degree day. btw for sale in the classifieds... Also I know of an older AO with small blower motors that runs 105+ that would be a great boat for LOTO that can be bought just under 80k.
Don
Old 01-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Thanks for the responses gang. Keep em coming.
I've looked at a few PowerQuest boats and liked what I saw. Wasn't sure how fast they were. No doubt beautiful boats. I hope to see some at the Overland Park show or maybe the St. Louis show.
Chromecat,
as much as I like the idea of running over 90 with stock power, I'm not that much into cats. Besides, from my recent insurance shopping, I don't think I want to insure a cat.
Wildthing,
As much as I like the Pantera, I think a 28 is just a little on the short side for twin bigblocks. I agree with you about the Fountain, Formula or Cigarette. Those are the three names that keep coming to the top of the list. Now if I could just find one for around $60k!
Speaking of Formula, Are there any 31' Fas-Tec Formula owners out there? If so, how do you like them? How fast is the 31, the 35, and the 38 all with identical power? Say, 502mags? or 496 Mags? or HP500s?

Last edited by Gordo; 01-23-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:58 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Looking forward to it! First one is on me.

Quick Reply: Best Late Model 30'-35' Twin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.