Notices

bui

Old 02-03-2005, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: bui

Please How many people do you know or see that drink n boat.
I see so many things out there regardless of the boat that are just unsafe, adding speed only makes it worse.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a long time I was the worst offender of this, I have calmed down alot cause I knew I was going to kill my self or others. so now if I am going to drink while driving the boat I will generally keep it under 70 and i will never drink rum without mixing it with something. and never let the hilocopter see your beer.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Registered

and for god sake, don't give me a hard time , it was a joke
Old 02-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harper220
What???

Not from the USA, huh?
In the first paragraph he says it is Memorial Day. In the last he says it was Labor Day. What was it, Memorial Day or Labor Day?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:50 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

There are nights I can barely remember that I still can't believe I made it back to the dock alive. 3 AM, pitch black, 80 MPH. I get chills from those days.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

I agree with the dangers of drinking and boating/driving/riding motorcycles and operating equipment, and I'm sure this mans intentions are honorable, if his point is to make one think, then he succeeded. However, I know times in the night pitch dark in my own house that I have stepped into something, on a pet or just plain run into the wall, totally sober. I see the blame here being put on the alcohol, there was no mention of any levels of intoxication, and IF there was a law for the dock owner. Had they not been drinking, is there a guarantee that they wouldn't have missed his own dock and it happened anyway.
I'm not trying to ruffle anyones feathers but there are circumstances to everything. If him writing the story somehow helps him alleviate the guilt he is feeling , again perfectly acceptable. Accidents DO happen, thats why they are called accidents. We are all reminded of our own mortality everyday. I too remember times that I shouldn't have driven my car or my boats, I think of it when I look at troutly's signature, the subtle reminders are the most affective.
Just my opinion...Rob
Old 02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Yes, I'm sure the friends in the boat that got killed or hurt were drinking water and begging the operatot to stop drinking and idle back to the dock. I think we can agree there is a 99% chance they were right there at the same table, etc. having fun.

Accidents do happen and they are horrible. But, sometimes they are just horrible accidents that will ruin someones life without the need for jail.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question. do you need to get drunk in order to enjoy boating?
If the answer is yes, maybe you should sell your boat and take up a hobby you can enjoy without alcohol or just make getting drunk your new hobby instead. Drunk boaters endanger everyone around them, themselves included. I am not saying that having a drink with lunch is evil. I am saying that knowingly operating a vessel while intoxicated is stupid, selfish and very dangerous. Is your life or anyone elses really worth that extra 3 or 4 or 12 beers?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:42 AM
Registered

There is no law requiring lights on docks on Lake St. Clair. But because it's shallow, you don't get too close anyway. What really scares me is the boats on the lake that don't have lights on after dark. I try to avoid boating after dark.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Agreed, but the tone of the article seems to be blaming it solely on the alcohol. No one is saying that it isnt tragic, it is. I also get from the article that he is trying to warn others, and if that was his intent yes he succeded just by having it in print. There are many details that were left out of that article, especially of court procedings and such, and as the owner/operator of the vessel, yes he was in charge and can be held accountable, which obviously he was.
The answer to your question is no, I dont have to get drunk to enjoy boating, BUT, we cant let the actions of one person, bring legislation upon the rest of the users.
Keeping in mind that when you get a DUI/DWI, unless you are involved in an accident, that is the only crime in America that you can be punished for the potential what you "can" do, not for what you did. I know from experiance as I got one back in 97. I said that to the judge when he asked me if I had anything to say. Much to my attorneys chagrin, I said it and I acknowledged, that drinking is not illegal, but getting behind the whell after tha is. The judge told me I had a better understanding of the gravity of the offense than most others he sees. Basically its the fault of the person, not the alcohol itself.

Quick Reply: bui

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.