Notices

Pinellas County Deputy charged with BUI

Old 02-09-2005, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Pinellas County Deputy charged with BUI

Originally Posted by robyw1
That's very true but there are otherwise good people who make a mistake and drive which are just a little over. They may not habitually do this and the one time they get caught they are criminals in a since for life. I won't go in to what might and might not happen because no one knows. Now the 2, 3 and more offenders of DUI then yes they need serious counseling and stiffer penalties than a one time offender with no priors who would learn this lesson from a deferred adjudication sentence.

Roby
Agreed, the way it is now, the law considers you (1)sober or (2)totally, smashed, sh!t-faced drunk...no in between. Nonetheless....
Old 02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corrado
I think a lawyer would argue this. My friend has had 5 DUI, and still has a legal driver and cdl. his laywer is very good. probally smarter they most judges. The first thing the lawyer does is get it to a jury trail. His lawyer won't let the judge dicide his fate, he lets a jury of his peers do that.
Now T, if that true and the jugdes sees my friend has 5 DUI then I wonder why he walked the last few times. If my friend gets a 6th dui conviction he will go way for years.

My friends lawyer went back tens years and got two old DUI off, yes throw out totally, from years ago, they went back and and brought those old 10 to 15 year old cases back to trail, jury trail, and won . I good lawyer with a jury can do alot. A judge will only through the book at you.

A good lawyer can get old dui throw out, I have seen it first hand. I talked to my freind last night. no bs.

This is Indiana btw. get a dui in Ind. call bill miller:d in elkhart in. bring your check book. don't take the test he will tell you and you might walk. take it and your done.
This is probably one of the most disturbing things I have ever read on these forums.
Why this guy can still drive is beyond me.
I truly hope your "friend" doesn't kill anyone next time, especially you or any of your family members.
His lawyer isn't "good", he is totally irresponsible.

Last edited by SummerObsession; 02-09-2005 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Hit the damn submit button too early.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
I think what Cuda means, Rob, is that For him the wake-up call was a DUI(fine)....For others, the wake-up call comes in much, much worse ways(death, dismemberment, vehicular homicide)
Exactly. It wasn't like the Dui was something I enjoyed, but I probably would still be drinking and driving if I hadn't got caught. I couldn't imagine having to live with the thought that I caused someone else's death due to my own stupidity. I've been so good for so long that I feel the first time I push it just a wee bit, I'll either get popped again, or worse. I don't intend to find out. Of course it really helps that Debbie doesn't drink, and I have a DD on call 7/24.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Registered

Trout:

It wasn't a direct attack at you. The phrase "police state" doesn't refer to the boys in blue.

But I do think the "click it or ticket" campaigns are strictly to raise revenue, whoever enacts them - even if they save lives.

In reference to the "citizens", this country is not a democracy (this is a very long conversation), it is a republic, and the constitution is a very debated document. A democracy is 51% of the population telling the other 49% what to do, i.e. don't smoke, don't drink, support Christianity, avoid loud performance boats like the kind Formula builds, etc. The constitutions intent was to protect individuals from the majority.

Last edited by vtec; 02-09-2005 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Registered

I don't want to stir chit up here and do not take this out of context. It's just something I think is true.

First, I do not believe in driving drunk. But what is drunk????? .08 is pretty much the "standard" BAC level that is considered drunk. But is it really???

There are many many people out there who have been drinking a long long time, and like most other things, you tend to get aclimated (spelling?) to it. I honestly believe there are some people out there who might blow a 1.2 BAC and still be able to drive relatively safely. And I also believe there are people who would blow a .04 who would be bouncing off of parked cars. I realize that some sort of standard needs to be set, I just don't know what it is. For lack of a better idea, I suppose the .08 has to do, but in reality I think the older 1.0 was a little more realistic.

Down here in Florida we have "bluehairs" that are MUCH more dangerous than drunk drivers because of all the medications they are on. You would have to see it for yourself to believe it.

I also think it's unfortunate that if someone does get a one time DUI that it sticks on his record permanently. I would rather have it that after ten years, maybe 15, that if there are no other related problems that record is expunged. I think that would be fair.

I also think that there is credence to the concept that "drunk driving convictions" equals a cash cow for the state. Don't start blasting me here, I in no way mean that there is not merit for keeping highways safe. However, the state does make a friggin TON of money off DUI's. And anytime huge amounts of money are involved, I tend question the motives. The state puts forth the proposition that "they" want to make it a financial "hardship" on the offender, to teach him/her a lesson. Unfortunately, in too many instances, that financial hardship that is teaching an individual a lesson, also causes hardship to innocent people i.e, their family.

What's the answer? I don't know. I just wish someone would think of a better one.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 876 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I also think that there is credence to the concept that "drunk driving convictions" equals a cash cow for the state. Don't start blasting me here, I in no way mean that there is not merit for keeping highways safe. However, the state does make a friggin TON of money off DUI's. And anytime huge amounts of money are involved, I tend question the motives.
It's easy to think like that until someone you know or love is involved in an incident with these people. My grandmother was run over and killed in the daylight by a one of these drunk f'ers. I don't care if they throw away the frickin keys on these people. You play/you pay...I don't think the system is tough enough on these scumbags.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
It's easy to think like that until someone you know or love is involved in an incident with these people. My grandmother was run over and killed in the daylight by a one of these drunk f'ers. I don't care if they throw away the frickin keys on these people. You play/you pay...I don't think the system is tough enough on these scumbags.

Like I said, I believe there is merit in keeping the highways safe and I also have lost two people who I was extremely close to from drunk driving accidents. But that doesn't change what, in my opinon, I believe to be true.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Two beers in one hour and you will fail at .08 at 5'7" and 150 lbs??

B as in B and S as in S!!!

People keep blabbering around about "I only had TWO beers/drinks/glasses of wine and I got arrested and failed the test....HOG WASH!

The only way you will fail at that height and weight over that period of time is if those TWO beers are pitchers

Assuming your two beers are standard U S strong beer, and you a re a relatively healthy male (meaning a working liver), then you would test around .02 to .03 at the end of that one hour.

It would take you about four to five beers in one hour to reach .08 . That is more than social drinking...

Really ? It takes 5 beers to be .08. I was told in high risk traffic school (long story but not DUI) that it takes two drinks per hour. I can do two drinks per hr and be ok. I agree 5 drinks per hr and no one should be driving. In fact, there should be a scale. If you have 5 drinks the first hour and then 2 drinks per hr for 2 hrs you should not drive either. It's cumulative depending on how fast your body can go through the stuff. Someone should come up with a realistic breath test that people can use before they drive. Sometimes you really don't know you are over.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

As pointed out, some people are Dui even though they don't have Ubal (unlawful blood alcohol level). I used to date this chick who got a Dui and she only blew .05. But I can tell you, they were right. She couldn't handle her liquor worth a damn, though she thought she could. She got her Dui when she ran into a fence.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Look at it this way. In a nutshell, the average healthy adult male burns off one beer per hour. So, if you are the average healthy adult male you can have one per hour and not worry too much.

Now, increase that to two per hour. At the end of hour one you have approx. one left in ya, at the end of hour two you have approx. two left in you, etc, etc (these numbers are close).

This is where people get in trouble. They drink more than the body (liver) can burn off. Approx. 90% of the alcohol is burned off by the liver. The other 10% is breathing, sweating, and peeing. So, it takes TIME to burn off alcohol. If you are not healthy (poor liver), then you cannot burn off the booze and it stays in you longer.

So, the biggest factor is how much did you drink over a given period of time. Then, body weight, sex (m/f), % body fat, etc, also have a bearing on how fast one burns off the alcohol.

As for testing, you could spend $600 and purchase a high quality digital PBT such as a Alco-Sensor IV, wait 15 minutes to get rid of any mouth alcohol possibility after your last drink, and test yourself. If done properly, they are very accurate. But, you also have to buy the associated equipment to check the calibration at least monthly (we do ours every two weeks).

Whatever you do, do NOT waste your $$$ on those cheapo breath testers. They are not worth the $$ spent or the risk in getting an inaccurate reading.

Don't want to spend the $$$?? Well, you can CLICK HERE! and enter in some data and come up with a pretty good idea what you can drink over what period of time based on you sex and body weight. It is based on the scientific Widmark Formula which is accurate providing the data entered is accurate.
Cool... Thanks..

Quick Reply: Pinellas County Deputy charged with BUI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.