Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas? >

question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas?

Notices

question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas?

Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas?

Rotflmfao!!!!!! :d
Old 03-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

454MPI should live a fairly reasonable life at 3 psi with a Procharger and 4600 ish.

And he never said his motors were modded, he just said they had been reworked. Maybe a rework with stock parts, maybe some hop up goodies, but any way you look at it, a 3 psi charger and revs under 4800 should run well enough in that setup.

As far as throwing out bodies, the fastest I've ever voluntarily leaped out of a boat is mid to high 50's. I don't know that I want to go out above 65 ish. We convinced one friend how fun it was to leap out of a boat at speed and when he jumped out at around 40, he blew his eardrum completely out. Never did heal right. And he blamed us for his ignorance on how to properly jump out... some people.

And as far as bodies hitting the side of the boat. They do slow you down. Especially when they hang on to a cleat for a few hundred yards. That really screws up your data. And the ones that drag the farthest seem to be the most angry cause it hurts and they bruise and all - like it is somehow YOUR fault that they were stupid enough to hang on in the first place. Duh..

But back to the thread, I definitely feel that undesirable women and/or barflys would be the best choice. Even if they file a formal complaint, nobody will believe the barflys and nobody will care about the undesirable women. They get a little attention, you get your test data. It's a win-win.

My Formula picks up a solid 2 mph between full and qtr tank. There may be another 1/2 to 1 if you actually want to run it dry. That sucks, though, cause you have to get your tow rope all wet when they drag you to the gas dock. Then you gotta give them some gas or beer or something. That last mph isn't worth the hassle..
Old 03-23-2005, 10:20 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
As far as throwing out bodies, the fastest I've ever voluntarily leaped out of a boat is mid to high 50's. I don't know that I want to go out above 65 ish. We convinced one friend how fun it was to leap out of a boat at speed and when he jumped out at around 40, he blew his eardrum completely out. Never did heal right. And he blamed us for his ignorance on how to properly jump out... some people.
Hey Mc ..one question ....did you jump out at 50 before or AFTER the guy that blew his eardrum ?????
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by offthefront
Hey Mc ..one question ....did you jump out at 50 before or AFTER the guy that blew his eardrum ?????
many times before.
and many times after.

When we used to take chicks out on the Wellcraft, I would run WOT and trim for zero steering torque (a little bit positive trim) which was 46, 48 mph. And I would wait for my buddy to give me the nod. And I would point the boat towards a buoy and scream "we're gonna hit it" from a few hundred yards away. When the girls looked and saw the bouy I would turn and run up the back of the boat and right off the back of the swim pad into the water. A couple of girls peed themselves (different occasions). We did lots of stupid stuff like that. Can't really think of why we ever thought to do it, but it was fun so we just added it to the "stupid things to do all the time" list.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 AM
Registered

I was told by the guy who set it up they were built speciffic for the pro chargers so I assume all is ok for more rpms but I am not sure I will push it past 4700 or 4800. I dont think I want to pay for new motors. I am running hydrolic steering.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

See if you can get that guy to provide a build sheet for the motors. Then show it to us. There's two different categories for "specific for the pro chargers". One category involves pumping efficiency (port sizes, intake style, valve sizes, camshaft, compression ratio) and the other category involves durability (exhaust valve material, valvespring type, crankshaft material, rod style and bolt size, piston material, etc.). The only way you can know what to expect with the motors is to have a comprehensive build sheet.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

I only said that he had to be planing.
I never said that he should wait for wot to start the tossing.

I think that 30-35 mph would be ok.

Maybe you should say "plug your ears and watch this" right before you toss them over the side. (For safety's sake.)
Old 03-24-2005, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 867 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
many times before.
and many times after.

When we used to take chicks out on the Wellcraft, I would run WOT and trim for zero steering torque (a little bit positive trim) which was 46, 48 mph. And I would wait for my buddy to give me the nod. And I would point the boat towards a buoy and scream "we're gonna hit it" from a few hundred yards away. When the girls looked and saw the bouy I would turn and run up the back of the boat and right off the back of the swim pad into the water. A couple of girls peed themselves (different occasions). We did lots of stupid stuff like that. Can't really think of why we ever thought to do it, but it was fun so we just added it to the "stupid things to do all the time" list.
Mike,when i had my first boat we used to do almost the same thing (except i never thought of the thing with the buoy). It was a 79 cobra jet open bow,i'd get going about 45 or 50,turn away from the controls and walk to the back and do a cannon ball. We'd do it when we had someone new on the boat and the look on their faces was pricless! Smitty
Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Registered

ttt

Summer is here.

Start tossing your friends off of the boat.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dockrocker
That's what I was thinking. 454 MPI + Procharger = Lots of expensive metal pieces. Only a question of what goes first...
It will be fine as long as you keep the boost below 7-psi and the RPMs below 5000. Everything in the engine is cast and you just need to run good quality fuel to control the detonation. The compression is pretty low in this engine so detonation shouldn't be a problem. Get crazy with it the first thing to go will be the crankshaft.

The heads on this engine aren't the peanut ports you think they are. They are d "D" shaped Vortek ports that can actually flow plenty good for this engine. In fact you would probably lose torque if you substituted rectangulars in their place with no other changes.

I actually got the stock engine to wake up just by increasing the fuel pressure and eliminating that terrible gasket restriction in the throttlebody. A lot of people don't like the EFI system on this engine but I will tell you right now it's plenty good to make serious horsepower, and is centuries ahead of a carburetor

Roby

Quick Reply: question about speed full tank vs 1/4 gas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.