Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion
Do You Need A License To Operate Your Boat??? >

Do You Need A License To Operate Your Boat???

Notices

Do You Need A License To Operate Your Boat???

Old 05-10-2002, 10:47 PM
SeaYa!

Default Do You Need A License To Operate Your Boat???

It is going to happen sooner or later, just curious what you all think about a "mandatory" test to operate a boat? Fatal accidents on the water DO NOT happen nearly as much as they do on the highway, BUT, it seems that "these people" (whoever they are) want to eliminate our hobby, or at least "reduce" the pleasure. Should we be tested to get a license, or NOT?

Old 05-10-2002, 11:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lisences wont help it will just make people think they know what they are doing!!
Old 05-11-2002, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not at all a fan of regulation, certification, over-leglislation, whatever you want to call it, but...

...I think it would be helpful if there was a way to mandate some sort of basic education for boating. Even if it's nothing more than a few hours of class or a little test--sort of like the ones you can take online now to save a few bucks on insurance.

I think if we can at least take some of the navigationally-challenged land-lubbers and first-timers and give them some basics of the "rules of the road" like which vessels have the right of way, what to do when overtaking, being overtaken, channel crossing, what's required at night, etc...It could be a safer place out there!

When I was in sixth-grade, we had a week-long boating seminar in grade school about boating safety(I might even have my certificate) having police officers and CG present. It would be cool, to make something similar available to new boaters.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:42 AM
Registered

Talking Operating A boat

I agree with Baja Daze as far as boating being regulated.on the other side, how many people do you see that have no idea as to how to run a boat in a somewhat of a safe manner? Some time just sit at a busy launching ramp and watch the show, Its better than TV!!
I myself, think that some sort of qualification card would be in order for crafts that go over a certian speed. also all PWC!!!
But what do I know?
eliminator219
Old 05-11-2002, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with "Baja Daze" and I'm nor for excessive regulation, but I think it would help. They would have to include personal watercraft in the regulation!

Seeya, good thread! Why don't you go back and add a poll to your orginal thread. I think it gives you that option! I'd like to see the results, plus I have been wondering how the "poll" thing worked!

Last edited by FunHome; 05-11-2002 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Re-reading my post, I realized it was a little ambiguous!

To clarify, I know that all those classes are already out there now and readily available to anybody who cares to better themselves, but it's completely voluntary.

My point is, that at time of purchase of a new boat(or change of ownership of a vessel) and when registering it would be nice if a basic test would be required or a show of successful completion.

It's the only way to get the message across. Too many people simply sign and ride with no prior experience or introduction.
Old 05-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a big fan of new regulation....BUT. Maryland passed a law a while back that anyone born after 1972 had to pass an 8 hour course and get a card to run a boat or PWC. Since it has been in effect injuries and fatalities have gone down every year while the number of boats has increased. It does seem to work. In fact most of the schools offer the course as an elective so the kids can get it there. The course is not rocket science by any means(my oldest passed at 10) but it does give the basics.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:48 AM
Registered

How about a license to back-up a trailer and load/unload the boat before you even consider a license to drive!
Old 05-11-2002, 11:55 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by jbrauer
How about a license to back-up a trailer and load/unload the boat before you even consider a license to drive!
No Way! That's where I go for most of my entertainmment.
Old 05-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Registered

In Connecticut, anyone that wants to operate a vessel needs to take an 8 hour CG course and a test to get certified. It's basically a boater's license. The same is true if you operate a PWC. The course covers the operation of both and when you pass you are certified for both PWCs and boats. It also teaches navigation and the "rules of the road". I think it's a great idea. I do wish the course covered proper use of launch ramps and docks though. While it may be entertaining at times to watch the people at the ramp that don't have a clue, it can also be very frustrating when trying to launch/retrieve your own boat.

Ted

Quick Reply: Do You Need A License To Operate Your Boat???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.