strongest drive? IMCO SC >

strongest drive? IMCO SC

Notices

strongest drive? IMCO SC

Old 04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strongest drive? IMCO SC

My motor produces 1150 hp and 1100 ft lb's of torque. What is the stongest drive besides the #6 drive? Currently have an IMCO SC.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:53 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Default Re: strongest drive? IMCO SC

I have heard of a couple of guys here running big power like yours through a B-Max drive.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by chip12345
My motor produces 1150 hp and 1100 ft lb's of torque. What is the stongest drive besides the #6 drive? Currently have an IMCO SC.
Have you broken anything yet,just curious,Smitty
Old 04-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

there is a long thread on the imco you need to read for me i would go with the maxx machine works drive a lot less reported failures on the maxx drive
Old 04-09-2005, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have seen several guys on here who have had the IMCO Extreme SC drives who haven't had very good results/success with them. At least they sure haven't sounded too happy about the IMCO drives. Many of these guys who have or have had the IMCO drives have engines with power much less than what you say you have. If you do a search within the tech Q & A section you might be able to find a few threads regarding some of these issues. I think there even may be a pretty big thread in the General discusion section not too long ago of some pretty unhappy boaters who have used the IMCO dirves and didn't get the attention from IMCO that they thought they should have. However, I think there may be some guys who have had success with the IMCO drives, but it seems like you hear more about the failures stories than you do of the successful ones.

Some of these guys who had problems with the IMCO drives have went out and bought the B-Max drive and some have bought internal parts with better materials and design/engineering from a company called Max Machine Worx in Havasu, Arizona. I personally haven't heard too many failure or complaint stories with these drives/parts.

Don't exactly know if this is a rumor or not, but I heard that Konrad is supposed to be coming out with there own bolt-on version of the Merc Bravo One drive that will supposedly be stronger, still bolt right up to the Merc Bravo One extisting gimble/transom assembly. Like anything else I guess we'll find out. Any of you guys hear anything about this?

Last edited by KAAMA; 04-09-2005 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Max Machine all the way. Drives are great, and great customer service.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about the Arneson conversion? But it may cost as much as a #6.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:07 AM
Registered

Thank you.... I have blown everything up at one time or the other. As a matter of fact I blew up the max machine drive in approx 10 minutes. This was three or four years ago and max still has done nothing about it. Not that I have pushed it, I don't work that way. I was very upset with their total lack of responcibility. It was the large nut that holds the drive together that backed out... They did not tighten correctly... That year I blew 5 drives up from stock to max's... I was only pushing ( I am guessing because my motor builder did not dyno) 750-900hp no idea for torque. I was running a 1:50 ratio drive with a 32p lab four blade 100mph 27 foot conquest deck boat. Felt the large pitch prop was part of problem. Bought an IMCO SC drive with a 1:25 (I think) any way the lowest. And used a smaller pitch prop, a 28... Same speed snd the drive has held up since. This new motor (same motor new builder Fast Fred Motors of Lake Havasu) a 581 Merlin is night and day different at 90 you stab it it will pin you in the seat. We are currently running the 28 for drivability. We tested with a 30p prop at 3/4 throttle 103mph gps 5600rpm... Don't think I will ever know what top speed is... It will turn my 32p with no problem just can't drive it or the 30p at idle speeds as I am producing a wake and most others are not, and they don't understand.

I have blown so many drives and I have this feeling this one will not last. Well if I could take it easy it might last, but the power is so incredible and fun I AM GOING TO STAB IT.

Thank you for your responces and please keep them coming. I am going to look at the Konrad as it looks promising. Or detune an incredible motor. It is a shame this weak link has not been perfected.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Chip,

This drive issue is a hot subject. I guess a lot of it depends on how the drive is assembled as well. I suppose that no matter who's parts you have, if it is not assembled correctly or something was overlooked during the assembly process, then any drive can/will grenade. From what I can remember about Max Machine is that they told me their parts are better quality even than what they were a few years ago.

I am going to give the Max Machine parts a go only because I haven't heard much in the way of failures from their stuff, however I will have my own drive tech/man "Dick's Performance Marine" do the assembly. I think that is the name of Dic's business, but not exactly sure. He's also known as "Mr. Gadgets" here on OSO. He mics everything, and does a complete blueprint for proper fit, and assembly. With his own Merc Bravo drive equipped boat, and before he started his own drive building business, he went through several genaded drives himself from other drive shops, mods, etc. So, based on his own personal experience with several drive failures he started rebuilding his own drives, and has had much better success---hence now he has his own drive building business. That boy can tell you A LOT of drive failure story's. Of course there are many other variables, and factors that play into the survivability of a drive as well such as power to weight ratio, maintenance, and driving habits, etc, but I think good quality parts are a major of the equasion, and the major part is the care, precision, and how well the drive is assembled. I hope things go better for you, and your drive(s) in the future.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to remember is that every drive out there is being successfully run behind big power. None are 100% bullet proof! I have heard good and bad about every aftermarket company out there, and like KAAMA said there are a lot of variables that contribute to those experiences. I think the B-MAX upper is still the strongest, but I have heard guys having to go through hoops to get them right. Once they are right they seem to hold up. You have a lot of power and like to use it so you will break drives! Consider which is the cheapest to fix while making your decision.

KAAMA - How are the motors coming?

Craig

Quick Reply: strongest drive? IMCO SC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.