HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled >

HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Notices

HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Old 04-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

I have responded to some messages from "Rob" about his predicament.

What I mentioned is that he can quickly check the pump output by looping a line directly from the output pump connection back into the top of the reservoir and run the pump, either with a drill (at least 500rpm) or run the engine. If it flows good out of the line, the pump may not be the problem. Then reconnect it but disconnect the return line at the bottom of the reservoir that comes from the cooler, loop it back into the cap opening and try again. Is it much different? If so, start looking for a restriction (filter, hose, helm, cooler). I have heard of high pressure lines delaminating internally causing a blockage, so you can't discount the lines and proper installation of the hose ends.

I don't think Rob is having fun yet!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry Falcon, I didn't mean to imply that you were asleep at the wheel, so to speak.

Glad to see you're on the case!

Brian
Old 04-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian thanks for the help.

The gimble stops is not stopping it . I know for a fact I am NOT getting the turning capability . I would have to remount the steering arms on the transom.Not doable .It was set up for the bravos Not the BMax.

The pumps like on your motors is like what was on my Scarab , I took the guts out of one like whats on my 70 Chevelle and reused the orifice tube .It Worked fine . I installed the Machine Marine full hyd steering like whats on the Hustler on my Scarab and didn't have any problems doing it .I guess I am jinxed ?

I just want to make sure the pump is the cause before I tear it apart and show it to ya You have to have a press to push the rear cover down about 1/16 to get the snap ring back in.

I am going to try to take the pump to a HYD place Monday and see if they can pressure test it .Does anybody know what the bypass spring pressure is set at in a marine power steering pump??

If the pump is bad wouldn't puke metal????

Thanks

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:12 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Falcon
I have responded to some messages from "Rob" about his predicament.

What I mentioned is that he can quickly check the pump output by looping a line directly from the output pump connection back into the top of the reservoir and run the pump, either with a drill (at least 500rpm) or run the engine. If it flows good out of the line, the pump may not be the problem. Then reconnect it but disconnect the return line at the bottom of the reservoir that comes from the cooler, loop it back into the cap opening and try again. Is it much different? If so, start looking for a restriction (filter, hose, helm, cooler). I have heard of high pressure lines delaminating internally causing a blockage, so you can't discount the lines and proper installation of the hose ends.

I don't think Rob is having fun yet!
I am not having fun yet those whipples are calling me and need to be run. When up 4 prop sizes and its not enough. It was a little hair running it with no steering

I am going to bench test it to night then put it back on and test it like Falcon stated .thanks guys for all the help.

What kind of presure sould I see if I dead head it??

all I need now is a hammer and a hacksaw

Rob Steeringless

Old 04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Ok I got to thinking .my head is getting clearer I have a nos pressure gage and I rigged up a test does this look like I got it hooked up right?

Bench testing it with the electric drill turning 600rpm just a little flow . the dewalt 1800rpm it has a steady flow . I pinch the pressure hose to see if any pressure ,Dead heading it .None

What do ya think?

here is a video I just made of it flowing

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=pump-002
Attached Thumbnails HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pump-001.jpg  

Old 04-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

When I crimp the out put line .no presure and the pump does not change sound like it would be dead heading .

Gage vid

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=pump-003

Old 04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I took the sterring helm apart .and its a little stiff . it needs a new bearring . This is NOT my problem though.I guess I will have to get this for Marine Machine .
Attached Thumbnails HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pump-004.jpg   HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pump-005.jpg  

Old 04-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Sounds like the pump took a dump. Somewhere in the pump it has a pressure relief valve. Maybe thats stuck open since you are getting flow but not pressure. If I had a extra pump I would send it to you. Anyone got an extra 500EFI pump??
Old 04-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Linster
Sounds like the pump took a dump. Somewhere in the pump it has a pressure relief valve. Maybe thats stuck open since you are getting flow but not pressure. If I had a extra pump I would send it to you. Anyone got an extra 500EFI pump??

I took the new pump apart and I found out Ihad the valve backwards . It is building presure now. I stoped at 300psi because of the Blue hose .I will test it again and see how high it will go. I figure it will blow the hose off. I ll just wear some old cloths and goggles ..If it builds up enough pres its not the pump then . I am now leaning toward the helm now . Alteast I will learn all about these pumps and sterring system and I will beable to help someone else .

Linnie My yankee buddy JC Perf [Jeff]has a pump he offered for me to try. But I want to make sure before hes sends it .

Linnie hows the boat doing now ?did ya get it reprogramed again.
I ran my Hustler the other night with no steering it wasnt pretty at 95,the funny thing is My buddy T that is helping me want ride at night anymore with no steering they said they could hear the blower from the bank when I was headed toward them, the cops showed up also. it was 10.30 at night though

Falcon is a big help !! I wish I knew what he knows .

thanks guys .

Rob

In the pick The 2003 truck valve is the same as mine.500efi
Attached Thumbnails HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pump-007.jpg   HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled-pump.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 04-25-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

There's a Charlene valve at the helm. Maybe thats bad. I hate to buy items until I'm sure I have the fix. They sell them at forklift parts stores for a lot less. I think they are about $275.
If its building 300psi, I'm would bet its OK. Blowing the hose off might be an outside thing. Make sure you have a good face sheild.

Quick Reply: HELP? I cant get the Power Steerring Bled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.