Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc >

Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc

Notices

Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc

Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc

Are there any drawbacks to installing intercoolers on stock 525sc? How about horsepower gains? Running stock exhaust never in sea water, do you really see a big difference by cmi headers over stock, and how much hassle in installing with switchable exhaust, throttle brackets? thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc

Originally Posted by jtwpwrboat1
Are there any drawbacks to installing intercoolers on stock 525sc? How about horsepower gains? Running stock exhaust never in sea water, do you really see a big difference by cmi headers over stock, and how much hassle in installing with switchable exhaust, throttle brackets? thanks
I think the 525 came with the gills .They were bad about reversion.If ya do the innercooler You could put a smaller pulley on it and them I would think the cmi type exhaust would help. And look better too. trick marine has them on sale too.

If ya go with a innercooler I would not run the water thru it via the pump ,do a water pick up so it only get water when your moving . With water running thru it at idle it will puddle the fuel and load up.

It ya really want to step up get one with a coppernickel core . or if they were available the Whipple one
Attached Thumbnails Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc-blowers-intake-bearings-2-012.jpg   Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc-blowers-intake-bearings-2-017.jpg   Any draw backs to installing intercoolers on 525sc-blowers-intake-bearings-2-014.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:13 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

I switched from the factory Gils to CMI's on my 525sc and saw no change. Also, the last year of the 525sc had CMI's as stock and there was no HP rating change. I also run a smaller pulley @ 7psi with no cooler. The blower is near its limit. I'm not really sure how much or if the smaller pulley makes a difference. It was on when bought the boat.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Griff How many hours on your 525sc? ever rebuild?
Old 04-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,938 Likes on 976 Posts

Mine are 96's with about 380hrs. I put in a roller cam, valve job and new exhaust valves at 335 hrs. Actually everything inside looked very good, except one valve that was badly pitted due to a crack in the Gil exhuaust. The roller cam maybe added 100rpms on the top end. Midrange acceleration is much better.