Notices

Roller lifters input

Old 05-06-2005, 09:15 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Roller lifters input

Russer1,
Around here several of us have used the Isky lifters, the other guys get about 250 hrs before they have them rebuilt. Some say rebuilding is not good, but Isky does it. One friend had his Isky's rebuilt and Isky added the oiling hole to make them the latest/greatest. He had one fail after 12 hrs. This was after getting 250hrs consistently thru the years. He has a big cam big spring psi.. etc. close to .700" and 260lbs on the seat.
I would run the same Isky's. Old style and they would fail at 40hrs.. very tiriing to chase that dream.

Johnny DCB
I went to Schubeck .90s flat tappets and had cam problems.. so now I have the the Roller X's .903 and installing them now. We'll see if this is the answer.. Thats what the pics are of earlier in this thread.. Give Joe a call he is a grreat guy!

Nobody..
That is encouraging to hear some are running them and have had success.. and I hope I have the same.. my cam is .685" lift and 260lbs on he seat.. Time will tell.. I need to get back to it..

Later all!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets

Johnny DCB
I went to Schubeck .90s flat tappets and had cam problems.. so now I have the the Roller X's .903 and installing them now. We'll see if this is the answer.. Thats what the pics are of earlier in this thread.. Give Joe a call he is a grreat guy!
Im very curious to see the results.I still have some time before I need to order the lifters and such.Would be nice to hear some more feedback on those Roller X's!
Old 05-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Banned

Don't forget to address pushrod deflection. There is a great amount of HP the is lost due to this. At max lift on some profiles there is as much as .100" in deflection. Once the lifter peaks on the profile the pushrod "rebounds" and this can cause the lifter to crash into the flank of the closing side. This can cause a harmonic in the valvetrain and can lead to catastrophic failure.

Chris
Old 05-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cstraub
Don't forget to address pushrod deflection. There is a great amount of HP the is lost due to this. At max lift on some profiles there is as much as .100" in deflection. Once the lifter peaks on the profile the pushrod "rebounds" and this can cause the lifter to crash into the flank of the closing side. This can cause a harmonic in the valvetrain and can lead to catastrophic failure.

Chris
Just another thing to worry about! LOL..Why does this stuff have to be so frustarting..
Old 05-06-2005, 02:20 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

cstraub..
and what might be the answer for that problem.. Fatter push rods.. mine are around 11" long.. and I know they flex.. but I have clearance issues..
What do you do about the deflection problem?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Banned

I am fortunate to work for who I do and because of that I get a wealth of feedback, both good and bad, back from what is the creme of de creme of engine builders; a few of which frequent this board.

I added the deflection part so that for those that think a high dollar lifter is going to be all you need for a bulletproof valvetrain are not disappointedn't get blamed in the future if a failure happens. As I know Laz and a few others will agree with me, there is no such thing as a bulletproof valvetrain but matched components are key to longevity.

Pushrod weight was "marketing hype" a few years ago, less is better. I used it also. But now with Spintron testing it has been proven the few grams of weight saved on the valvetrain with light pushrods is not worth the 20 to 40HP that you are loosing due to deflection. None the less the extra stress that the valvetrain is going through.

The "boys" in NC run 7/16" to 9/16" stuff. Some is single taper some is dual taper. For most of you here running with blowers and NA engines a 7/16" single taper would suffice with the more severe stuff using the 1/2" diameter stuff.

Mr. G, at 11" and probly with 3/8" stuff, yes you have deflection no doubt. You have clearance issues, I understand, but let me ask you this. Is it worth possible engine failure due that could have been avoided with some clearance grinding and an upper engine disassembly? At 11" you need at least some 7/16" single taper stuff.

Don't get caught up it the lightweight game. Racing you can push the enevelope, for most of you this isn't the case. You need parts designed for durability. For a fact, one of the top Funny Car teams has some of the heaviest lifters in their car. The bodies have been in there for 3 YEARS!!! Just the axles and rollers assemblies have been changed.

Additional oil. Hell yes. Spray bar systems in the valve covers, in the lifter valley, and built into the oil pan are all good ideas and good insurance.

Hope I have helped.

Chris
Old 05-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cstraub
I am fortunate to work for who I do and because of that I get a wealth of feedback, both good and bad, back from what is the creme of de creme of engine builders; a few of which frequent this board.

I added the deflection part so that for those that think a high dollar lifter is going to be all you need for a bulletproof valvetrain are not disappointedn't get blamed in the future if a failure happens. As I know Laz and a few others will agree with me, there is no such thing as a bulletproof valvetrain but matched components are key to longevity.

Pushrod weight was "marketing hype" a few years ago, less is better. I used it also. But now with Spintron testing it has been proven the few grams of weight saved on the valvetrain with light pushrods is not worth the 20 to 40HP that you are loosing due to deflection. None the less the extra stress that the valvetrain is going through.

The "boys" in NC run 7/16" to 9/16" stuff. Some is single taper some is dual taper. For most of you here running with blowers and NA engines a 7/16" single taper would suffice with the more severe stuff using the 1/2" diameter stuff.

Mr. G, at 11" and probly with 3/8" stuff, yes you have deflection no doubt. You have clearance issues, I understand, but let me ask you this. Is it worth possible engine failure due that could have been avoided with some clearance grinding and an upper engine disassembly? At 11" you need at least some 7/16" single taper stuff.

Don't get caught up it the lightweight game. Racing you can push the enevelope, for most of you this isn't the case. You need parts designed for durability. For a fact, one of the top Funny Car teams has some of the heaviest lifters in their car. The bodies have been in there for 3 YEARS!!! Just the axles and rollers assemblies have been changed.

Additional oil. Hell yes. Spray bar systems in the valve covers, in the lifter valley, and built into the oil pan are all good ideas and good insurance.

Hope I have helped.

Chris
Chris sometimes I tend to stay quiet because when people say too much others think you are a smart ass know it all, but I can tell you that anything I build solid roller with all the good stuff, Manton makes my push rods and I don't care how thick or heavy they are, indeed you're right about deflection another thing about spring press, guys will tell you to try to run just enough I always run the most press I can ,believe it or not this contributes to longevity in the valve components positive valve action leaves nothing to chance, for the record you want a bad ass valvetrane from the bottom to the top .903 jesel lifters Manton's pushrods Jesel shaft mount Delwest retainers valve locks Isky tool room delwest valves and bring the heat because you will not have any issues if the geometry is set up right .
Old 05-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Laz,
Terry's stuff is top notch I agree. It's hard to explain the value of a $20 pushrod to someone when they are out there for $100 a set. People think you are ripping them off when in fact you are looking out for them.

Thanks for adding your recipe at the end there. It just goes to say, pay me now or pay me later.

Chris
Old 05-06-2005, 04:17 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DCB
I'll be happy with 1000 but it will be closer to 1300 I hope.Atleast thats the mark we're shooting for.
1300 will put you in the upper 130s, are you running full hydraulic stearing?
Old 05-06-2005, 04:26 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts

Laz,and or, Chris, what's your opinion of the Crower, 68806 and 68848 valve springs?

Last edited by GPM; 05-06-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Roller lifters input

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.