Full hydraulic install - removal of old system >

Full hydraulic install - removal of old system

Notices

Full hydraulic install - removal of old system

Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full hydraulic install - removal of old system

I'm gonna be installing a full hydraulic steering system soon. I'm running a 496 HO and am wondering what components I can / must remove from the old power steering system. The more I can remove, the better for weight. Maybe they'll tell me in the instructions, I don't know. Thanks for any replies.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Re: Full hydraulic install - removal of old system

I just did the same thing. You will remove the steering rack behind the motor(s), the steering cable, and possibly your helm. The stock high pressure line coming off the ps pump has a quick disconnect coupler. The IMCO kits come with a fitting that screws into the ps fluid filter that accepts this quick connect. The LP line that goes from the rack to the ps fluid cooler will be removed. The LP return from the helm will connect to the PS cooler.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Registered

Dave, what exactly did you do to remove the steering assembly? I've looked back there and can't figure out what screw/pins are accessible that would allow you to get the bugger out. Also, out of interest, could you move the steering assembly up and down before you removed it? I've got a good 1/2 inch of play up and down in mine, boat only 2 years old. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There are two large bolts that connect the steering assembly to the transom assembly. Aside from that, disconnect the tiller arm and the hoses and it should come right off. I did mine with the engine removed so it was probably easier.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can anyone comment on how difficult the installation of the full system is. Looking at full hydraulic systems on friends boats it dosen't look that difficult but I have recently read some other nightmare forum discussions saying don't even attempt this unless your a qualified marine mechanic with plenty of experience. I plan to install the full Imco sytem sometime this summer on a single engine, 23 foot Checkmate. I have easy access to the inside transom, behind the dash and plenty of room for hoses between the dash and engine compartment. How hard could it be?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:34 AM
Registered

NH: I'll let you know when I get finished installing on my 23 foot Mate.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:41 AM
Registered

You might grab a copy of last month's Family and Performance Boating - they did an install article on an add-on hydraulic system - showed the tricks of the trade like how to tap the screw-holes to mount the wing-plate and how to properly drill and later seal the holes through the transom. Only one step I didn't understand - they found the centre-line on the drive, then used a balance to run the line outwards to decide where the ram mounting hardware is to be located - but all that assumes that the boat is sitting level on the trailer - and how do you know that ?!?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered

Thanks, I'm going to try to find a copy of that article. I'm surprised other magazines haven't run more articles on this.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

It's not that hard. I am by no means a mechanic. I thought the hardest part was cutting the hoses. That HP hose is tough to cut. I used a cut off wheel. If you have access to a chop saw, that might be easier.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

Thanks Dave, that's about what I figured.

Quick Reply: Full hydraulic install - removal of old system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.