Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket >

Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Notices

Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Its an 88 and it was leaking gas. Although I am concerned about the age and will prob change the managolds after the summer. What happened in your case and what signs should I keep an eye out for so I dont blow a motor?
Old 05-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

My stbd motor was running like crap one day especally at low rpm's. I thought it was a fouled plug or two because it was fine in the upper rpm's. It finally quit idling in and wouldnt start. Got home and pulled the plugs and water came out of # 6 and 8 so I figured it was a head gasket. Oil was also a milkshake. The head gasket looked OK and it was only after I had everything back together that I found out it was the exhaust. I pressure tested them and one had a small water leak into the exhaust stream of # 8 cylinder, so I replaced all 4 with Stainless Marine
Old 05-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Registered

Wink Re: Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Thats exactly what I plan to do. How hard of a job is it to replace the exhaust manafolds? Whats involved in doing that?
Also, do you know where to get a good deal on Stainless Manafolds?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Its easy to change the exhaust. Just unbolt the old ones, make sure the gaskets are completely removed from the heads and bolt the new ones on. Sometimes it's a little tricky to get the first "center" manifold unbolted because theres not much room there but if I can do it in my 28SS you really shouldnt have a problem. Be careful though, theyre pretty heavy. What is your fuel pump mounted to on your port motor? That might get in the way a little. I bought my exhaust from Fred at Trick Marine. I shoped everywhere and he has the best prices. If you switch to Stainless MArine you have to get new risers too. If you stay with Gil you can reuse your current ones.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

What is your fuel pump mounted to on your port motor? That might get in the way a little. I bought my exhaust from Fred at Trick Marine. I shoped everywhere and he has the best prices. If you switch to Stainless MArine you have to get new risers too.
If I stay with Gil you can reuse your current ones.

I'm not sure were my fuel pump is mounted, I have to check. The current setup I have is Merc/Gil exhaust. Does that mean the manafold is just a plain old Merc with the gill risers? Or did Gil make both and Mercury put their name on the manifolds? These damn things are expensive!!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think merc put their name on them. And yes they are expensive. Look around in the classifieds, you might find a nice set of CMI's or something. Do you have bravos? If so, theres lots of standard exhaust systems that will bolt in place of yours. Or call Gil and find out if they have a direct replacement for what you have
Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM
Registered

Talking Re: Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

No, I have TRS and want to do the easiest upgrade possible. I think the Gil would be the easiest because I get to reuse existing equiptment.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have TRS also and had to get custom tailpipe$$ made. I agree, use what you already own.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Re: Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Dangerous Dave, the question is when do you know when you have to replace these puppies. I dont want to wait for failure but I don't want to spaz out and replace them right away if I dont need to. Know what I mean?? Give me some advise.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really don't know a good way to see if they're ok or how much life is left in them. There are freeze plugs in them that if taken out you'd be able to see in there for pitting and corrosion but I've never taken one out. My best advice is call Gil and see if theres a way they inspect them. I don't want to give you any bad advice that will cost you a lot of money.

Quick Reply: Changing Exhaust Riser Gasket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.