Adjusting throttle cables >

Adjusting throttle cables

Notices

Adjusting throttle cables

Old 05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Adjusting throttle cables

What adjustments would I need to make on the carb?? If the cable doesn't work??? Does shifting in and out of gear have any bearing on this situation??
Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Adjusting throttle cables

If you have segregated throttle and shift, then no shifting has nothing to do with the problem. Make sure the throttle is completly closed by puching the throttle arm on the carb by hand. if it closes further, then the cable needs more adjustment, if it is closed all the way, you need to adjust the idle speed screw, you should also adjust the idle mixture screw at the same time. The idle speed screw is the one that the throttle arm rests against at idle, to lower the idle rpm, back it out. you will need to adjust the cable again after you do this. To set idle mixture you will turn the screws on the bottom front of the carb in until the engine stymbles, then count how many turns out it takes to make the engine stumble again. Then center it between the 2. Lets say you turn it in till it stumbles, then it takes 3 turns out from there to get it to stumble again, you should turn the screw back in 1 1/2 turns. If the engine has no response to adjusting the idle mixture screws then it needs to be rebuilt. I'm not explaining that procedure on the computer though
Old 05-10-2005, 03:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gripit
How many times should I turn the nut? 3x like Hillbilly24 said?
Always do what Hillbilly24 says. He is ALWAYS right!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:06 PM
Registered

Ok, now that I made the adjustments to the cables, the two individual throttles seem to be off just a little bit. So how do I fix that problem. I like the two throttle shifters to be in sync at the same clicks through the throttle range. Also, now it takes more movement on the throttle to get an initial respose in RPM. Also, I noticed my setup doesn't have a return spring unless its located on the other end by the throttles????

Last edited by gripit; 05-11-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

You should have atleast a light return spring on both engines, just go to Napa or something and buy em for a buck a piece. This alone may bring the throttles back to even. If not put a little more tension at a time on the side that is too far foward and it will suck it back to even eeith the other. They will take a little more motion to get an initial throttle response but this is the right setup and they will require the same amount of movement when you are done.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
You should have atleast a light return spring on both engines, just go to Napa or something and buy em for a buck a piece. This alone may bring the throttles back to even. If not put a little more tension at a time on the side that is too far foward and it will suck it back to even eeith the other. They will take a little more motion to get an initial throttle response but this is the right setup and they will require the same amount of movement when you are done.
What does the light return spring look like and where should it go on my setup? There is a return spring in the diagram. Is that the light return spring you are talking about or is that the heavy one? The Heavy return listed in the diagram is not on my current setup. What would the light one look like and where should it go?
Attached Thumbnails Adjusting throttle cables-carb.gif  
Old 05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Registered

It's # 12 on that diagram. It goes between the ear on the plate that the cable housing ataches to, and the throttle arm on the carb that the cable end attaches to. Does that make any sense? What I meant by light reurn spring was similiar to the factory one, and not to use a stiffer one from an auto parts store to band aid the problem.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Registered

I don't think I understand,I'm probrobly a dumb***, but are you saying in the diagram one end attaches to one of the holes just above number 16 and the other end attaches next to the red plastic thing I was turning counter clockwise?
Old 05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
Registered

yes one end goes to one fo the wholes just above #16, the other end goes to the arm just above #7, that has the stud sticking out that the throttle cable end attaches to. there should be a whole or a hook for it to atach to.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Ok, I think I got it now. I will give it a try and let you know what happens. Thanks Hillbilly24!!!

Quick Reply: Adjusting throttle cables

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.