Adjusting throttle cables >

Adjusting throttle cables

Notices

Adjusting throttle cables

Old 05-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjusting throttle cables

I have Keikheiffer throttle on a 454 trs setup. After pushing the throttles to 3500 rpm I back them backdown to the lowest setting but the rpm are still a little high like 1200. I can manually push the throlltle housing forward and the throttle goes to its lowest setting and idles properly. So I think my throttle housings or cables need some adjustment. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Adjusting throttle cables

How about a stronger throttle return spring?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:27 AM
Registered

Where would I find that on the cables or on the carb?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

take the cable off the catb and turn the end until it lines up perfectly with the stud or ball. Then turn it in 3 turns and your in buisness. you should have a little tension on it and that works alot better then a stiffer spring. Cables will stretch over a period of time and need to be adjusted periodically.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:18 AM
Registered

Question Re: Adjusting throttle cables

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
take the cable off the catb and turn the end until it lines up perfectly with the stud or ball. Then turn it in 3 turns and your in buisness. you should have a little tension on it and that works alot better then a stiffer spring. Cables will stretch over a period of time and need to be adjusted periodically.
Ok, let me see if i get this straight.
You want me to take the cable off of the carb. Turn the end of the cable. By twisting the cable or??? I'm not sure what you mean. Please be more specific.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should see a little stop nut at the cable end where it threads on the red connector. Remove the red connector from the throttle arm, loosen the stop nut and turn the connector out or counterclockwise. Re-tighten the stop nut and reattach to the throttle arm.
Old 05-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered

Re: Adjusting throttle cables

How many times should I turn the nut? 3x like Hillbilly24 said?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That should be fine to start. You may need to experiment. Also make sure all the connections on the engine brackets are snug. Not too tight as things will bind up.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Registered

Re: Adjusting throttle cables

It adjustments worked great on both engines. Then the port engine had high rpms again around 1500 only after I shifted from forward to neutral and reverse then back into forward during my parking maneuver. Inotherwords, on my test run both engines returned to idle perfectly just throttleing up and down many times. Only after shifting gears, the port engine would not return to idle hung around 1500rpm. What do you think I should do now? Should I continue to counter clockwise adjust the cable or some kind of other adjustment is in order???

Last edited by gripit; 05-09-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try giving it a little more tension with the cable before you replace the spring. The stiffer the spring the more jumpy the throttle will get. It will require more initial force to move the throttle wich makes fine adjustment hard. If this still doesnt work, try and back it down manually at the carb again if yo still have slack tighten it more, if not you need to adjust the carb.

Last edited by hillbilly24; 05-09-2005 at 08:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Adjusting throttle cables

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.