Outdrive GURU's ????

Notices

Outdrive GURU's ????

Old 05-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdrive GURU's ????

After 3 years. Blew the forward gears. The Whipple finally did a number on the upper part where the gears are. I found more trouble once I split the cases.

Split the upper and lower to inspect things. Both of the shafts on the lower case have the splines twisted from the torque of the motor. I tore apart the upper. The forward gear is trashed and the gear attached to the drive shaft coming out of the upper are wasted. I took the upper apart with regular ratchets, socket and open end wrenches. A couple of questions. There are no cracks or signs of swelling from either of the cases.

1. How hard is it to rebuild the upper? Can I do it with the same tools I took it apart with?
2. Any specialty tools required for the upper putting it back together?
3. Any special gap settings for the gears?
4. What does it take to get the lower apart? What kind of specialty tools does it take to put it back together and how much are the tools?
5. What is the cost of the parts to rebuild it to put it back together again?
6. The lower shaft that fits up into the upper look like it had some small shims up under a gasket. How do you figure the shim settings?

I would like to learn to rebuild them myself. Is there a special manuel I can buy or get a copy from someone that gives you the steps in rebuilding this outdrive?

How much are the cases worth in good condition? I know its a bunch of questions, but it sure would be helpful. I'm in the process of finding a complete Bravo 1. I know mine is pretty much wasted.

Any info sure would be helpful.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 05-09-2005, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Outdrive GURU's ????

If your gonna build it yourself, BUY A FACTORY MANUAL, not one fo the aftermarket ones. As much damage as you have though you are probably better off buying a compete drive though, it will most likely be cheaper that way.