Installing distributor >

Installing distributor

Notices

Installing distributor

Old 05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing distributor

Just re-installed the distributor after winter maintenance. Started the engine and it runs (rough idle) but the timing mark isn't even close to the timing marks. I set the distributor with the #1 as per the manual.Wires are all in order. Hypothetically speaking if #1 cylinder was TDC on the firing stroke and timing mark right on, even if you had the rotor position a couple of teeth out or even 180 out as long as the #1 wire on the cap was aligned with the rotor shouldn't the timing be correct?
Old 05-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Installing distributor

If you are out 180 it will not run You are into the exhaust stroke. If it is running you will be able to find the timimg mark some where. Running rough has nothing to do with timing. Need more details
Old 05-15-2005, 07:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Here is how it works. Get the number 1 piston on compression. Drop the distributor in so the rotor points to the #1 wire on the cap. However you have positioned the #1 wire on the cap is not important, as long as the rotor is pointed to where you put the # 1 wire on the cap. The firing order is 18436572. Start it up, you may have to move the distributor a bit in either direction to get it to fire up. Next get your timing light on the # 1 plug wire. Set the timing to manufacturers specs.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Registered

Checkmate, you answered my question. The rotor should be facing forward and a little to the port side of the engine according to the service manual. But your saying even if you had the rotor facing the rear as long as the #1 wire on the cap is in the correct position and the other wires are in the correct order the engine will run. Anyway I did exactly as you said to install the distributor, done it many times before, but when the engine is running the timing mark on the crank is nowhere near the timing scale. My guess is it's about 12 degrees after TDC. If I turn the distributor to try and get it on the mark the engine will stall.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you replace the cap and rotor? Merc had a problem for a while with shipping 6 cylinder rotors with 8 clyinders caps. count the windows on the rotor, if there are 6, its the wrong one and it would do exactley what you are describing. I had it happen a few times at the shop, the first time I spent about 3 hours trying to figure out what the problem was and was convinced that the balancer had spun until I noticed it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Registered

Man, do I feel stupid! Woke up in the middle of the night and it hit me my timing light has the dial to set the total advance. When I checked it in the morning it was on 45 which would explain why I couldn't get the timing mark to line up. I haven't tried it again but I'm pretty sure thats what it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

been there done that.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by carm
Man, do I feel stupid! Woke up in the middle of the night and it hit me my timing light has the dial to set the total advance. When I checked it in the morning it was on 45 which would explain why I couldn't get the timing mark to line up. I haven't tried it again but I'm pretty sure thats what it.
I always wanted a timing light with the advance dial. Then after using one & realized I had hit the dial & was setting the timing wrong I threw out that timing light & went back to my old one.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
I always wanted a timing light with the advance dial. Then after using one & realized I had hit the dial & was setting the timing wrong I threw out that timing light & went back to my old one.
the Snap-On digital timing light w/advance is the way to go, easy to use and impossible to screw up. It cost like 400 bucks though.