Adjusting Morse 33c cables >

Adjusting Morse 33c cables

Notices

Adjusting Morse 33c cables

Old 05-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting Morse 33c cables

I am having difficulty adjusting my trim tab indicators to match each other. I put new cables on last year and one tab is off by a full 1 1/2 numbers compared to the other one when both are level. I tried adjusting 1 cable to as long a possible and the other to as short as possible. They are still a full 1 number off. The only way I saw to adjust them was by moving the threaded attachments to fully threaded or move them near the end of the threaded section.

Any other tricks on adjusting these. I replaced them with the same length cables Morse 33C Supreme cables and thought they would line up fine.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:05 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Adjusting Morse 33c cables

Are you running K-Planes?
Does the cable come through the K-Plane backing plate, through a Hubbell Nylon Watertight Strain Relief Cord Connector?
If the above is true, move the cable sheath inside the strain relief to make the adjustment necessary in order for the indicators to match each other.
It takes some time but will give you the results you are looking for.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Registered

Yes, they are attached to K-planes. The cables run through the backing plate. There are nylon nuts with a rubber seal and nylon collar inside the housing where the cable comes through the backing plate. Do I need to loosen the outer nut to slide the cable sheath forward or backward? Should I still try to adjust at the cable ends as well?

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes. RLW is correct. I just did this a couple of weeks ago. Just move the cable housing back/forth in the transom to get it close. I use the adjusting block on the cable where it attaches to the K-plane ram for fine tuning, cable stretch,etc. As you can see, the inner cable has only so much travel within the cable sheath. That's all you have to work with. With the K-planes, I think you'll want more travel in the down direction than in the up direction. You just have to move the sheath so you don't run out of travel going in the most extreme direction. Hard to describe, but I think you get the idea.