turbo charger question

Old 05-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default turbo charger question

Does any one out there have any experiance with running twin
turbos in a boat? I have a friend that has a gale banks setup
that I think I can get ahold of. I am considering it for my 24
Pantera. It curently has a 454/330. If anyone has any experiance with running any turbos in a boat I would appriciate some advice. Advantages & disadvantages, any help would be appriciated.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: turbo charger question

You will need a major upgrade of the internal parts of that 330 before you attempt any such mods.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used a Banks set up years back with water cooled turbos and made decent power these were the first engines I worked on for the Popeyes boat before we went to blowers they were 496s and if I remember correctly they made 750hp and 700 ft lbs it was nothing compared to what can be done today. Just read my post on the new project were working on 380 ci and 1300 hp that's crazy.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you try installing the banks manifolds and risers, they'll hit the PS ram. The setup works great on a jet boat, but will become a setup nightmare on a bravo unit. They do make lots of power though!
Old 05-25-2005, 09:20 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a twin turbo system 4 years ago. Is the Banks system a blow thru system?
The newer systems with a wastegaste are much easuier to dial in. I had to run a 27" Mirage with a lot of cup in the blades in order to stay hooked up after the boost kicked in above 3200 rpm. If you don't have enough prop pitch you'll spin your 330 far beyond safe levels. I could spin my Big block Ford up to 6000rpms with the prop I had. I set the rev limiter to 5400 just to be safe. You would want to install a timing retard system in your ignition. It will retard your timing as the boost increases.

Have fun. I loved the sound of those turbos.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab28
If you try installing the banks manifolds and risers, they'll hit the PS ram. The setup works great on a jet boat, but will become a setup nightmare on a bravo unit. They do make lots of power though!

You would most likely want to install external hydrualic steering . That would solve any clearance problems and make it a safer ride.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you turn the setup around & put the turbo's to the front they will clear everthing. I had run the banks stage III setup in my Baja for 10 years. The orginal banks setup limited boost by having a bypass hole in the exhaust housing. Bigger the hole the less boost would be made. Went & put waste gates on setup with dial on dash. Could adjust boost from 4.5 PSI to 15 by the turn of the dial. Major draw back to the system is the exhaust housings. Verify the do not have any cracks & leak. For a low HP setup the system is good. Compared to todays setups such as whipple/ CMI or procharger/Cmi you will build more HP with these two compared to the Banks setup with the same amount of boost.

Limit the boost on your 330 to about 5lbs & if motor is in good shape you should be OK.