How to grease Bravo drive? >

How to grease Bravo drive?

Notices

How to grease Bravo drive?

Old 06-04-2005, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Problem with bravo drive after removing and greasing and reinstalling

I have a slight intermittant vibration when tilt is full down, or up alot for our low water conditions right now. I'd like to grease and inspect the universals or gimbal bearing if possible. I've never pulled the drive off before but was told it was easy. Can anyone talk me through the procedure on how to pull it off. Is it something that two guys can pull off? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by cloudmaster_321; 06-05-2005 at 02:21 PM. Reason: found a new problem
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How to grease Bravo drive?

Accouple guys can have that drive off in about 5 minutes. Its pretty straight forward, 6 main nuts, trim bolt, & depending on year speedo hose. Of coarse if you have external steering you'll need to remove that. Once all loose should slid off relativly easy, good luck hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:56 AM
Registered

how do i gain access to the universal joints after the drive is slide off. Are the gimbal bearing and universals something that are accessable at this point, and do they have zerks. If not, how do i grease/inspect them? Are there only six nuts on the drive, will it be obvious which ones hold it on? Where is the drim bolt? U talkin about the tilt ram bolts? thanks!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Registered

the drive comes off by taking the 6 bolts and the back trim pin. when you start to pull the drive off, only pull it off the housing about 2 inches cause you need to disconnect the shift cable...it will be on the right side inbetween the 2 top bolts. just flip the lock mechanism up and you will release the cable...then slide the drive all the way out.

The U-Joints are on the drive yoke. they have zerks to greese. your noise is more than likely comming from the Gimbal bearing. You should probably replace that if it hasn't been replaced in a while. You should also grease the coupler....if you look behind the motor in the bilge you will see a couple zerks to hit.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Registered

Do i need any new gaskets when i put the drive back on?
Old 06-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered

There are some orings that you should be able to reuse unless there in poor shape, just give them a good inspect. Use grease to hold them in place when reinstalling them.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:49 PM
Registered

Well, i got the drive off, greased the coupler and u-joints and put it back on. It was pretty simple. thanks for the help there. Found another problem though. During my post repair runup with the hose attached, i could see the prop have a slight wobble. I took the prop off, and tried again and could see the slight wobble in the prop shaft. Looks like it is bent from the shaft that is exposed. I put a ruler on it and it doesn't wobble where it goes into the case, but it does at the tip. Also, seems like the top part of the drive case gets pretty damn warm while running, and i never took it above 2000 rpm's. I tried running my dad's cobra drive, that barely gets warm at all. So i think i will take the drive off and take it too the shop and have him take a look. Looks like i will at leat need an output shaft. I suppose that is a million dollars..... damn it