Notices

Mufflers!

Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mufflers!

Originally Posted by GPM
The first set I was sent were gutted for some good dyno numbers, the boat was louder with them on. The second set sent the EGTs over 1500 degrees by 5000 rpm. The third set does not impress me. Actually they are quite a let down after waiting for 6 months. When I asked Graham if I had to go somewhere else to get mufflers that would work, his reply and I quote " GUESS SO!"
So your running 1500HP race engines and thought you could use mufflers to tame them? At this level its dry pipes and strait exhaust. I doubt anyone can really help you without sizable power loss. You weren't planning to just idle 1500HP around were you? Put a helmet on and head offshore. Should be one hell of a ride!
Old 06-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GPM, I see a big ole step in your mufflers...
I also see less than 4" with your tape measure...
At least with my 4" ones, they are 4" inside all the way through. These are 6" OD at the muffler area, with a 5" OD exit. No step at all inside.
That doesn't look right, somehow...
Old 06-08-2005, 04:44 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by zt260
So your running 1500HP race engines and thought you could use mufflers to tame them? At this level its dry pipes and strait exhaust. I doubt anyone can really help you without sizable power loss. You weren't planning to just idle 1500HP around were you? Put a helmet on and head offshore. Should be one hell of a ride!
Actually it's fairly tame, the efi helps a lot, the wife unloads and loads the boat. I tow the kids around on the tube, and on a good day it will run in the upper 140s. But not with any of the GGBS mufflers installed. I don't expect any mufflers to make the boat legal and not kill the top end power, but I do expect to get what I payed for. Especially after the Third time.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I've seen Graham will refund your money if it doesn't work for you. I would just buy turn downs from Gibson and be done with it. It will kill 10+dbs at idle easy. GGB may come out with a bigger diameter mufflers in the future, but for now it doesn't look like he can help you, unless you want to try the insert type mufflers. I really like my extremes, but I'm making a couple hundred less HP.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Registered

This is what I'm talking about...
Check this out compared to yours, GPM. Maybe it's just the camera angle with yours, but I don't see a smooth muffler in your pictures...
With mine, you can run a straight edge down the entire muffler...
Attached Thumbnails Mufflers!-ggb_thruinside_small.jpg  
Old 06-08-2005, 07:25 PM
GPM
Registered

I've spent some time on the phone with Graham, I even drove to his shop in Burkes Falls, Canada. I tried a couple of sets of his mufflers last summer, he never sends what I order. The set in the picture above is a replacement for one set he sent last year that didn't work. I would like to be able to run 5000 rpms without melting the pistons out of my motor. We talked about the design in person when I was at his shop. They were going to be a custom set, 6 1/2 OD. with a 4 1/2 ID straight through, you can see what he sent. If he can't build it, he should say so before he takes your money, and wastes your time.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:50 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mudball
This is what I'm talking about...
Check this out compared to yours, GPM. Maybe it's just the camera angle with yours, but I don't see a smooth muffler in your pictures...
With mine, you can run a straight edge down the entire muffler...
No, it's not the camera angle, that's what I expected to see, only 4.5 id. Maybe that's why I'm a little upset. And the fact Graham uses pictures of my motors on his web site and in his ads. He's never built a set of mufflers that I can use, other than the ones I run on my stock Chevy Suburban.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Registered

That doesn't sound at all like Graham...
I am shocked.
If I were you, I would call him post haste.

Something is very wrong in this picture...
Old 06-08-2005, 08:24 PM
GPM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mudball
That doesn't sound at all like Graham...
I am shocked.
If I were you, I would call him post haste.

Something is very wrong in this picture...
I talked to him yesterday morning right after I opened the muffler box. After waiting 6 months now he tells me he can't build what I need. He wants me to try the ones you see in the picture above and let him know how they work. We just modified a set of CMI Big tubes to fit my boat to get more flow, how do you think those mufflers will work.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GGB is trying to get out of the custom building business because it's a loosing proposition. Graham has always been very responsive when I've asked him for anything though. I hope this is worked out for you.

Quick Reply: Mufflers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.