Thunderbolt V knock sensor problem >

Thunderbolt V knock sensor problem

Notices

Thunderbolt V knock sensor problem

Old 06-17-2005, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderbolt V knock sensor problem

Ok - I have been troubleshooting a low WOT rpm issue on a 1997 350Mag(4200rpm). I think I have it narrowed down to the knock sensor/module continuously retarding the timing. Is there a way to disable the knock sensor, i.e. ground the wire? I want to make sure this is actually the problem before investing $$ in a knock module and sensor.
Old 06-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Registered

Default Re: Thunderbolt V knock sensor problem

Disconnect the wire for a couple of runs...
Old 06-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike220ds
Ok - I have been troubleshooting a low WOT rpm issue on a 1997 350Mag(4200rpm). I think I have it narrowed down to the knock sensor/module continuously retarding the timing. Is there a way to disable the knock sensor, i.e. ground the wire? I want to make sure this is actually the problem before investing $$ in a knock module and sensor.
What the actual running problems??? Losing power, won't build RPM?? Give us some more details.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Registered

The problem is that I am only getting around 4200rpm's wot and it seems a little flat through out the rpm range. It is a brand new shortblock. I did disconnect the knock sensor and it made no difference. The procedure for testing it starts by measuring voltage at the purple/white timing lead, I am only getting about 4v at this lead while the engine is running it should be 8-10V (the knock sensor actually causes the voltage drop when it detects knock). So I think it is constantly retarding my timing. Interestingly enough I am only getting about 9.8-10v at the coil while the engine is idling. Think this could be a voltage regulator issue?? The mechanic hooked up my electric fuel pump to the coil, so I thought that my be the issue. I just wired it to an oil pressure safety switch but I am still having the problem. Any ideas?