Best Engineered Boats >

Best Engineered Boats

Notices

Best Engineered Boats

Old 06-24-2005, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Engineered Boats

Having been lurking for a while in the owners section trying to see which boat has the best all around attributes I want to ask you all:

Which manufacturer do you think has the best engineered HULL in the 38'-42' category or just in general as it would reflect from your experience? 1995 to present.

I have been wondering about the weight to performance issue for a while. The reason I ask about "best engineered" and not fastest or most winning is because those things seem too subjective. A manufacturer can put in HUGE power to move an inefficient/heavy hull. Likewise they can make a hull superlight and durability suffers.

SO, please be objective and try to explain why you think one manufacturer has used good engineering to produce a hull that given similar power as any other will last as long physically but outperform in all key areas. Speed, Sea keeping, etc.

Thanks,

VI Mike
Old 06-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Registered

Default Re: Best Engineered Boats

WOW no takers? Interesting.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Best Engineered Boats

Originally Posted by VI Mike
Having been lurking for a while in the owners section trying to see which boat has the best all around attributes I want to ask you all:

Which manufacturer do you think has the best engineered HULL in the 38'-42' category or just in general as it would reflect from your experience? 1995 to present.

I have been wondering about the weight to performance issue for a while. The reason I ask about "best engineered" and not fastest or most winning is because those things seem too subjective. A manufacturer can put in HUGE power to move an inefficient/heavy hull. Likewise they can make a hull superlight and durability suffers.

SO, please be objective and try to explain why you think one manufacturer has used good engineering to produce a hull that given similar power as any other will last as long physically but outperform in all key areas. Speed, Sea keeping, etc.

Thanks,

VI Mike
I am going to take a wack at answering this:

1.) Cigarette has the 45'7" Maximus T-1075's....121.3 mph

2.) Donzi has the 38ZR T-1075's...124mph

3.) Fountain has the 42 Lightning T-1100 Sterlings....127 mph

4.) Outerlimits has the 39GTX T-625 Illmors ....109 mph

Outerlimits has the lightest boat (8,000 lbs but built lke a brick chithouse)

I would pick from one of the boats listed above as they are MY favorites as they represent the cutting edge technology of 2005....just make nicey nicey to your banker now and then 'cause this chit aint cheap. But you did say you wanted the BEST right???

Everything else you want to know is "blackmagic"....

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 06-25-2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Registered

Lightest and built like a brick chithouse sounds like the answer I was looking for.

I mean isn't that what we are all after, the strongest possible without being super heavy? Thanks for taking a stab I thought people would be scared of getting flamed for thier views. I was wondering what the deal was with the OL boats being priced at a premium.

I was also thinking of the Fountains being more aggresively priced because of the volume they seem to pump out. Spread the cost of your more exotic boats over the bread and butter....

"Black magic" like bottom design and proprietary construction techniques? I would be good to hear who has the edge in that arena.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 06-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Also take a look at the new 3900 from Nortech, a very nice piece. Some really neat and different designing thoughts went into it. I saw the pics which did absoloutly nothing for me, but in person a totaly differnt story. Awesome looking deck that resembles their 36 cat design, which then flows to the cockpit. They use some similiar styling cues on the dash and some really trick step plates, seats, and so on.. Weight wise I believe it is with in 400-600 pounds of the 39 OL (which is also a beautiful piece) and with the same power is with in 2 mph, but has a larger feel, especially in the cabin. Good luck, it's a lot of fun. Jeff
Old 06-26-2005, 10:01 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

39 MTI would fit this nicely and leave all those vee bottoms sucking wind with the same power...

jassman, you think the 3900 weighs 8500 or so? i would guess closer to 9500 or so due to the difference in build methods in those boats...? what did your old 43 weigh?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Skater ...I have crawled in a few...mint and light!..sharkey just posted some good shots of a skater build..hard to beat and that is where all the important build jobs go to get built...like fountains race boats
Old 06-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Registered

Cool. I have not had the opportunity to ride in a cat in rough water. What is the give and take on the cat design vs v bottom?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Registered

Of course I fal in love with the 43 V nortech. Man I need to make more money....