Notices

Milky Oil

Old 06-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Milky Oil

I had a block crack and replaced it as well as the vales on the drivers side head. I then had mily oil and replaced drivers side head gasket. I still have milky oil and would like to know if there is a way to check if the other head gasket it bad or if I have a hair line fracter in one or both of the heads
Old 06-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Milky Oil

If it was a closed cooling system you could do a pressure test.
If not, then there isn't a whole lot you can do but tear it down. If a crack in the head or block isn't visible then it will need to be magnafluxed.
But it could be a blown head gasket, or a bad intake gasket. Or, like I had once, a deep scratch running from a water passage to the lifter valley. The gasket couldn't seal the leak and had to machine the block deck to correct it.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:45 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Run the boat at idle. Pull both exhaust manifolds off carefully and check for water in the exhaust at the head. If you have water at the head you're getting reversion. The water will milk out your oil faster than you would imagine. You may have cracked or corroded exhaust manifolds. These can be pressure tested for leaks.

I would strongly urge you trouble shoot this carefully before you rip your engine down. If you just tear the engine apart you may destroy the clues that will lead you to the real problem.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm with Lofty on this one. I had the same problem with exhaust manifolds leaking water. I replaced the gaskets where the manifold and collector meet and no more water.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Registered

I agree with the leaking exhaust manifold theory. You can pressure check the block regardless if it is closed water cooling or not. Isolate and block off the hoses that carry water into and out of the engine, including the ones that carry water to the exhaust manifolds. Remove one of the block drains and adapt a schrader ( bicycle or tire ) valve. You can purchase these that are threaded at the base. A good block should carry 15 - 18 lbs of pressure for hours. This saves you a tear down for leaking gaskets heads etc. if the pressure holds well. If pressure is good, likely exhaust is leaking. If pressure leaks down fairly rapidly, the tear down is inevitable. Check how the spark plugs are burning. The cleanest one(s) would suggest where to look 1st if pulling the head (s)
Old 06-29-2005, 04:23 AM
Registered

R U sure it is not just condensation
Old 06-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Registered

It could be. do you have an oil temp gauge? If your oil temp is low and esp if your water temp is low as well. Is your oil level rising? This means a big leak not condensate. Good luck.