Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil pressure problems from stock hardware >

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Notices

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Old 08-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so where is the center valve at? Yes i already have a HV melling oil pump and never messed with the bypass valve so i think thats my problem. Do i need a oil thermostat? i have a 502 with a whipple sidemount approx 750hp. Can i mount a large oil/ps cooler in the stock location on the back of the motor above the bellhousing? Thanks for the help
Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Registered

Amazing thread as this pretty well cleared up my problems without asking!I have a fresh 496 (80's model 454) with all eagle rotating assembly running an intercooled 2300 cc whipple charger. After breaking it in gracefully (15 hours) with a pulley only producing 3.5-4 lbs boost I've noticed similar oil heat problems.Hard to build heat at first (9 qt pan) but after i get to 180* & set down some boost it climbs to 250* + after a few minutes.All stock oiling set up other than mellings blueprinted oil pump.It sounds as though I could use a bigger cooler, -12 lines & possibly an oil thermostat because of my capacity, which none of what really bothers me as we can handle in my shop fine.The part I dont like is this blasted bypass valve that I'm convinced is an issue.As my motor is resting nicely in its bay I'm getting aggravating images of hanging upside down for hours with 4" work area holding a mirror trying to remove & block the bypass. ANY SUGGESTIONS ,I really dont want to pull the motor out.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered

which canton block adapter?
Old 08-04-2009, 07:14 PM
Registered

I used Hardin Marine http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=5742 block adapter. I plan on using their cooler with the built in thermostat. Expensive but the set up is very clean.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WHIPPLEDMACH1
Amazing thread as this pretty well cleared up my problems without asking!I have a fresh 496 (80's model 454) with all eagle rotating assembly running an intercooled 2300 cc whipple charger. After breaking it in gracefully (15 hours) with a pulley only producing 3.5-4 lbs boost I've noticed similar oil heat problems.Hard to build heat at first (9 qt pan) but after i get to 180* & set down some boost it climbs to 250* + after a few minutes.All stock oiling set up other than mellings blueprinted oil pump.It sounds as though I could use a bigger cooler, -12 lines & possibly an oil thermostat because of my capacity, which none of what really bothers me as we can handle in my shop fine.The part I dont like is this blasted bypass valve that I'm convinced is an issue.As my motor is resting nicely in its bay I'm getting aggravating images of hanging upside down for hours with 4" work area holding a mirror trying to remove & block the bypass. ANY SUGGESTIONS ,I really dont want to pull the motor out.
The Gen IV block has no bypass .... you definately need more oil cooler .... I would run the Hardin cooler with the built in thermostat ....$$$ but simplifies setup .....

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=915
Attached Images  

Last edited by offthefront; 08-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Registered

so where is the center valve at? Yes i already have a HV melling oil pump and never messed with the bypass valve so i think thats my problem. Do i need a oil thermostat? i have a 502 with a whipple sidemount approx 750hp. Can i mount a large oil/ps cooler in the stock location on the back of the motor above the bellhousing? Thanks for the help
Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Registered

Thanks,so mine has no bypass in the block which would be great,but is there one in the mercruiser adapter on the block? I looked @ another block(car motor) in the shop and see they put it in the filter adapter.I guess it wouldnt take that long to remove it & see but didnt want to until I have the parts here to replace everything.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The valve would be under the threaded fitting in the center. If installing the Canton Racing adaptor leave this part off, it bolts directly onto the block.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:49 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WHIPPLEDMACH1
Thanks,so mine has no bypass in the block which would be great,but is there one in the mercruiser adapter on the block? I looked @ another block(car motor) in the shop and see they put it in the filter adapter.I guess it wouldnt take that long to remove it & see but didnt want to until I have the parts here to replace everything.
My gen4 mercruiser adapter had a bypass, just threaded it and plugged it.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Registered

can anybody actually running the 10778C anti cavitation pump tell me oil pressure #'s at idle??

Last edited by outlaw; 08-26-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.