Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
oil pressure problems from stock hardware >

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Notices

oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Old 05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this thread! I was just planning and plumbing my oil system when I hit a few Gen VI specific speed bumps so I thought I'd do a search and found this! Answers sooo many questions and poses a few more.

My thoughts on Oil Cooler routing and plumbing are like Arctic's (thanks!) by which I mean I have done away with every 90 deg fitting and used either straight or at worst 45 deg. I did fall victim to using a local shop to make me a custom length oil hose and they did want to use 20 Billion PSI hose and fittings. Why can't they figure it out when I say 'No more than 100 PSI.'

Anyway, I did NOT know about that damned bypass / relief valve so I think I shall plug that ASAP. I have plumbed my cooler in before the filter, my reason being the filter should catch anything shaken loose in the cooler or if the cooler craps itself, it won’t get much past the filter before I figure it out. I plan to use that big K&N bad boy so as to alleviate stress on the filter with cold oil, it should flow more than enough even when cold. Besides, Australian water temps are usually a fair bit higher than Nth America!

I am at a loss to the pump situation though. I have come to the conclusion that the bloke who built my motor didn't do half of what I asked. He re-used the old pick up screen on the new pump and I don't even know if he used a Gen VI pump. Apart from serial numbers, how do I tell? I've taken it off the motor to put the new screen on (Moroso HV screen) but I might just get another pump to make sure I have the correct Melling HV Gen VI pump. I hate not being certain!

I'm running a 12" x 4" Gil Offshore cooler which I've just installed. I mounted it alongside the oil housing side with my longest hose being about 24". I think I'll need that Earls Sandwich plate t-stat though, it's a big cooler!

Any additional info on the pump situation would be appreciated!

Cheers,
John
Old 05-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostrider
I love this thread! I was just planning and plumbing my oil system when I hit a few Gen VI specific speed bumps so I thought I'd do a search and found this! Answers sooo many questions and poses a few more.

My thoughts on Oil Cooler routing and plumbing are like Arctic's (thanks!) by which I mean I have done away with every 90 deg fitting and used either straight or at worst 45 deg. I did fall victim to using a local shop to make me a custom length oil hose and they did want to use 20 Billion PSI hose and fittings. Why can't they figure it out when I say 'No more than 100 PSI.'

Anyway, I did NOT know about that damned bypass / relief valve so I think I shall plug that ASAP. I have plumbed my cooler in before the filter, my reason being the filter should catch anything shaken loose in the cooler or if the cooler craps itself, it won’t get much past the filter before I figure it out. I plan to use that big K&N bad boy so as to alleviate stress on the filter with cold oil, it should flow more than enough even when cold. Besides, Australian water temps are usually a fair bit higher than Nth America!

I am at a loss to the pump situation though. I have come to the conclusion that the bloke who built my motor didn't do half of what I asked. He re-used the old pick up screen on the new pump and I don't even know if he used a Gen VI pump. Apart from serial numbers, how do I tell? I've taken it off the motor to put the new screen on (Moroso HV screen) but I might just get another pump to make sure I have the correct Melling HV Gen VI pump. I hate not being certain!

I'm running a 12" x 4" Gil Offshore cooler which I've just installed. I mounted it alongside the oil housing side with my longest hose being about 24". I think I'll need that Earls Sandwich plate t-stat though, it's a big cooler!

Any additional info on the pump situation would be appreciated!

Cheers,
John

Look at the Harden marine t stat.It works good on my motor,I have some info in my thread on the oil pumps,Melling has come out with a new billet style,might look into it also? Like most people tell me that a BBC does not have a oiling problem.Mine has the same pump for the last 4-5 years,I tore it down this past winter looks good still,put it back in,
Hope this helps
Rob

look at post 73 and 117
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...uild-up-4.html

heres some picks too
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-4-1-05-015-large-.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-bypass-004-large-.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-pump-hexajust-025.jpg  

oil pressure problems from stock hardware-hustler-interior-pick-up-066-large-.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-outdrive-3-29-07-011-medium-.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Talking

12-08 tear down
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-pump-12-08-040-large-.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-pump-12-08-044-large-.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-pump-12-08-053-large-.jpg  

Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Rob
VIP Member

plug/freeze, red loctite
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-054.jpg   oil pressure problems from stock hardware-hustler-motor-2-11-17-04-056.jpg  

Old 05-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
plug/freeze, red loctite
Rob what Gen block are these plugs intalled in? I need to try and install one in one of my Gen 5 blocks while still in the boat,you think it can be done? Also what size freeze plug would work and how did you install it?

Thanks Anthony
Old 05-18-2009, 12:14 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nordic95
Rob what Gen block are these plugs intalled in? I need to try and install one in one of my Gen 5 blocks while still in the boat,you think it can be done? Also what size freeze plug would work and how did you install it?

Thanks Anthony
gen 6,I got them at epw,cant remember the size,measure the hole ,I mounted it both ways,2 motors,make sure ya use red locktite.it will be tuff, ya have to hammer it ,and they don't want to go in straight,

Ive got one is the garage,ill try and see what size

hope this helps
Rob

Old 05-18-2009, 04:02 AM
Registered

The start of the thread mentions a 20mm freezeplug somewhere. I wrote it down because I just went out and bought one! I hope it fits!!

I usually just use a similar sized socket and knock them in, hope that works for this too!
I hope my pump hurries up and gets here!

I just need to check and make sure my pick up will suit my pan. The Stock pick up goes forward and down whereas the Moroso style wraps back under the pump and doesn't drop as far down. Isn't that counter productive?

Thanks for the pics Rob! so what spring are you running, HV & HP or just HV? (non colored?)

Last edited by Ghostrider; 05-18-2009 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Registered

Okay, problem...

How the hell do I get the old bypass out?

I have a 20mm freeze plug and some red loctite ready to go, but I don't want to wreck anything except that damn bypass. If it's just as easy as yanking it out, please let me know!

Also, the engine is assembled so I can't flip it upside down so I'll be upside down to get the plug in. Food for thought!

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails oil pressure problems from stock hardware-oil-bypass-loc.jpg  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 863 Likes on 402 Posts

You need to thread something in it and yank it out with a slide hammer,Smitty
Old 06-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anybody know if a merlin block has the bypass hole??

Quick Reply: oil pressure problems from stock hardware

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.