GGB Extreme Mufflers

Notices

GGB Extreme Mufflers

Old 07-01-2005, 03:47 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GGB Extreme Mufflers

I just got my set of GGB Extremes from Trick Marine. I will be giving them a try this weekend. I am a bit concerned about how they mount. I got the clamp-ons. According to the paperwork that came in the box, it is recommended that you drill a 3/8" hole into the outer pipe of the tailpipe. Then tighten the lock bolt so it goes into the hole you just drilled. Sounds simple enough, but here is my problem. I just got a new set of CMI headers and full dry tails. I really don't want to drill a hole in a brand new set of tails nor do I want to have any water mixing with the exhaust. I know it is a small amount of water and would most likely not cause a problem but the whole idea was to have dry tails. I called Graham @ GGB today. He told me that you don't have to drill a hole, the 3/8" lock bolt should be enough once it is bottomed out against the outside of the outer pipe. I am a bit concerned that the muffler is going to end up in the bottom of the ocean tomorrow. Is anyone else running clamp-ons with out drilling the hole?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: GGB Extreme Mufflers

I've had other customers with the same concern. We mounted the GGB's with the clamp only and put a safety cable on instead. It's just a short length of cable from the muffler to the transom "just-in-case".

The fact is that they never slipped but my customers where as concerned as you are. Go down to West Marine or Boat US and get 12" long ss cable with eyes. I usually include that when I sell the clamp ons.

Fionn
Old 07-01-2005, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you not want to drill the hole because you are afraid of reversion? That far out on the tails would be safe with a huge race only solid roller if they are otherwise dry.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:02 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Lofty,
I thought about adding a cable just to be safe. But then I thought about what would happen if they did come off and were teathered to the transom. I would rather loose the mufflers than wreck the transom with them bouncing off the water at speed.

wettevette,
I am not afraid of reversion. It just would bother me to pay extra for dry pipes only to make them wet again.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think he's cringing at the thought of knocking holes in his spendy new tail pipes. Which I can understand.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Registered

I don't blame you for that. I haven't installed mine because I don't want to scratch the tails up. I keep them in the truck so if and when I get harassed by the noise police I will install them. Hopefully I never have to put them on, but I doubt I will get that lucky.

Craig
Old 07-01-2005, 06:33 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just drill the holes and be done with it.
Better than safety cables hanging off the transom with GGB mufflers connected to them.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Rus,,
I wont use the cables.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered

Vinny,

I didn't drill a hole and my extremes have not moved at all. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Registered

Well I lost a set of clamp on HPI's....of course that company doesn't provide any install instructions or suggest drilling a hole to keep them on.

Quick Reply: GGB Extreme Mufflers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.