Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drive Problem >

Drive Problem

Notices

Drive Problem

Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Problem

We have a 2000 Checkmate 259 Convincor w/ a stock 454MAG Bravo 1 running on 150 operating hours. We started to get on plane yesterday exiting the marina and the drive slipped out of gear. A clicking noise became apparent and we could not shift the drive into forward or reverse. The lever moves in a normal fashion and the linkage on top of the motor appears to be operating normally. We were pulled back to our slip and I noticed an oil slick behind our drive. The drive fluid reservoir is still full. The boat ran fine on Saturday. The only odd behavior from the drive is that it would not trim all the way down unless you assisted the negative trim with positive throttle force. That problem started at the end of last summer. The boat is well cared for with stock power. It seems like we may have big problems. Any suggestions on what just happened and why?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Re: Drive Problem

At various times , here and on other boards , I've seen all manner of advice given on this kind of problem.
From personal experience , before you go worrying about busted upper gear sets and drive shafts do the simplest thing first.

Start the engine and check to make sure that the shaft plugging into the flywheel coupler is spinning along with the engine. If it's not you've spun the coupler.

Frequently the experts tell others that you know you've spun the coupler because you get the terrible odor of burning rubber in the engine room. NOT TRUE !
When my coupler let go it was the splines that went ... going from neutral into fwd gear. NO SMELL anywhere.

All the other problems exactly as you describe ... except for the oil slick behind the boat ..... hopefully that was someone elses problem that you just happened to drive into
Old 07-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by madbouyz
At various times , here and on other boards , I've seen all manner of advice given on this kind of problem.
From personal experience , before you go worrying about busted upper gear sets and drive shafts do the simplest thing first.

Start the engine and check to make sure that the shaft plugging into the flywheel coupler is spinning along with the engine. If it's not you've spun the coupler.

Frequently the experts tell others that you know you've spun the coupler because you get the terrible odor of burning rubber in the engine room. NOT TRUE !
When my coupler let go it was the splines that went ... going from neutral into fwd gear. NO SMELL anywhere.

All the other problems exactly as you describe ... except for the oil slick behind the boat ..... hopefully that was someone elses problem that you just happened to drive into
I agree,alot of stock couplers have white metal or aluminum splines. If engine alignment isn't perfect(bottom nut loosened or splines weren't greased etc) they usually go around 150-200hours. A buddy of mine had one go on his 2000 baja 29 outlaw at 210hrs with perfect alignment and annual greasing of coupler and he only has 310 454's,Smitty
Old 07-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

The oil slick is odd though so it may be worse,Smitty