Another alternator question >

Another alternator question

Notices

Another alternator question

Old 07-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another alternator question

I was just approached by a friend at work who owns a 87 pachanga, V6. Says his alternator is kaput, and he already removed it. His question to me was, when he removed the alt., he noticed that there was a separate smaller black wire which was connected to the same post as the orange. It had been cut loose, with only a couple inches left still attached, and says it looks like it was part of original wiring.I dont know where it could have went, and I wonder if previous owner tried to attach something there. Was there something else that went to that post? Any guesses?
Old 07-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Another alternator question

Originally Posted by sutphen30
its a capacitor and is for alternator noise.alot of times they short out and it will be directly to ground.check it w/ an ohm meter,should read something then goes to infinety.
Bingo.. Now it makes sense. The capacitor is gone, only the wire is left. Now he says it looks like a piece of a mounting bracket was also found attached to the groung lug, and this is probably where they mounted it. The rest is probably down in his bilge somewhere.