Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 01-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 765 Likes on 413 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by minxguy
For $6.00/quart, it has to be a lot more than a uptreat in additive.
Ken
So you are thinking like I am that the base oil is different between the two products?
Old 01-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back to drive losses do to oil viscosity. On the thread "HP losses from Bravo 1X drive" a couple of interesting statements:

Steve Zuckerman reported: "This research was going on at Mercury (outboard) during the heyday of factory racing (F-1, Mod-VP). We went on to lubricants. He said this where Mercury was able to pick up discernable HP increases. He said using lightweight synthetics, with high shear strength, netted as much as 10 HP at high RPM (in this case 9000+) and reduced operaing temps considerably, which helped the small volume speedmaster live through a 50 lap circle race on an F-1."

This would be a single gear versus the double gear in an I/O drive and a lot less shafting and bearings spinning in the lube. Conversely this is higher rpm than an I/O.

Strip Poker reported: "I have a friend that drag races the 2.5's (outboards) here and all he uses is the Alisyn oil. I used it type 2 in a Imco drive, it is a lot thinner than the merc stufff.I could spin the prop by hand like a fan blade.

Steve Zuckerman reported: "I have used Merc, RP, and Alisyn. Gear wear seems the same with all three, but the boat (28" Nordic Heat with Bravo drive) is faster with the synthetics."

Articfriends reported: "I haven't compared a measured hp loss but I can tell you this summer when I was trying different surface finishes and treatments on lower bravo gears in my quest to find something that will extend there life I ran 75/140 royal purple and was never able to break 90 mph. At the end of the season in almost identical weather conditions/water temps I once again saw mid 92's after switching back to 75/90 royal purple."

What would be the best low viscosity synthetic with the high shear strength to run in a Bravo drive?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Rage
How do you get and where do you go for the best pricing of the Redline 20W-50 and the Spectro 20W-50 Platinum?
I have not tried Spectro yet; but get Redline from here:

http://www.247-parts.com/view_cat_su...l1=2&cat_l2=10

it's cheper here when in stock..

http://www.jscspeed.com/index.html?/univ/redline.htm

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-06-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
I have not tried Spectro yet; but get Redline from here:

http://www.247-parts.com/view_cat_su...l1=2&cat_l2=10

it's cheper here when in stock..

http://www.jscspeed.com/index.html?/univ/redline.htm
Thanks
Old 01-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Registered

How do you get and where do you go for the best pricing of the Redline 20W-50 and the Spectro 20W-50 Platinum?
I purchase all my Spectro products from the local Ducati shop. Ken
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
So you are thinking like I am that the base oil is different between the two products?
Am I saying that? I guess I am. I just can't believe that two different products with the same base oil could have such a difference in price. Ken
Old 01-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Registered

Back to drive losses do to oil viscosity. On the thread "HP losses from Bravo 1X drive" a couple of interesting statements:

Steve Zuckerman reported: "This research was going on at Mercury (outboard) during the heyday of factory racing (F-1, Mod-VP). We went on to lubricants. He said this where Mercury was able to pick up discernable HP increases. He said using lightweight synthetics, with high shear strength, netted as much as 10 HP at high RPM (in this case 9000+) and reduced operaing temps considerably, which helped the small volume speedmaster live through a 50 lap circle race on an F-1."

This would be a single gear versus the double gear in an I/O drive and a lot less shafting and bearings spinning in the lube. Conversely this is higher rpm than an I/O.

Strip Poker reported: "I have a friend that drag races the 2.5's (outboards) here and all he uses is the Alisyn oil. I used it type 2 in a Imco drive, it is a lot thinner than the merc stufff.I could spin the prop by hand like a fan blade.

Steve Zuckerman reported: "I have used Merc, RP, and Alisyn. Gear wear seems the same with all three, but the boat (28" Nordic Heat with Bravo drive) is faster with the synthetics."

Articfriends reported: "I haven't compared a measured hp loss but I can tell you this summer when I was trying different surface finishes and treatments on lower bravo gears in my quest to find something that will extend there life I ran 75/140 royal purple and was never able to break 90 mph. At the end of the season in almost identical weather conditions/water temps I once again saw mid 92's after switching back to 75/90 royal purple."

What would be the best low viscosity synthetic with the high shear strength to run in a Bravo drive?
A full synthetic 75w90 if you are looking for the least amount of parasidic drag. A 75w140 for best wear.
Ken
Old 01-08-2007, 08:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
A full synthetic 75w90 if you are looking for the least amount of parasidic drag. A 75w140 for best wear.
Ken
Any guidance as to the full synthetic 75w90 with the best wear?

What is the viscosity rating of the Quicksilver severe duty LU oil?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

Any guidance as to the full synthetic 75w90 with the best wear?

What is the viscosity rating of the Quicksilver severe duty LU oil?
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 is a PAO...it certainly has my vote as does Royal Purple or Redline. If I knew what base M-1 is using I could perhaps include it as well.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:03 AM
Registered

Spectro's full synthetic gears oil are PAO and ester blend.
Ken

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.