Marine Lubrication

Notices

Marine Lubrication

Old 01-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Marine Lubrication

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
FYI...the latest reformulation of M-1 Extended products has Group IV back in them. It may be a III/IV blend.

15W-50 M-1 is back on my "A" list.

See ya
Where did you hear this???
Old 01-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered

While sitting in a Dentist's office today,i picked up a corvette magazine,no offshore reading material,i brought this to the attention of the receptionist! Anyway there was an article in it about Mobil One 15w 50 Oil,written by a Mobile Oil engineer.He talked specifically about the oil requirements of the Corvette Z06 engine and its relationship to Mobil One oil.He refurred to the different formulations as" Series". In 2005 they came out with "series 5 ",their SYN oil,In 2007 they are changing the formula to "Series 6", and they now have "Series 7"oil in developement.It was interesting reading.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Registered

I only have a couple minutes to do this today so I will do it quick and dirty....these are products OSO members have used and have enjoyed much success with.

Some go with all Mercury products; others with M-1 or Amsoil and some mix and match.

My personal picks are in bold.

Oil Filters:
-Fram HP Racing
-Wix Racing
-Mercury Marine HP
-Baldwin
-Mobil-1
-K&N
-Amsoil
I prefer the Mobil-1 filter and would like to use the M1-302, but due to space limitations can only use the M1-111. Are any of the others listed shorter than the M1-302 (approx.the same size as the stock Mercury filter)? I have '96 502 MPIs....
Old 01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Registered

How many quarts to completely change the gear oil in a Bravo 1?
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Marine Lubrication

FYI...I heard that Blackstone is finding that all $9/qt synthetics are 100% Group IV or V.

How's that for a scientific method of determining what synthetics are not Grp III for certain?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Registered

FYI...I heard that Blackstone is finding that all $9/qt synthetics are 100% Group IV or V.

How's that for a scientific method of determining what synthetics are not Grp III for certain?
I was told that a lab such as Blackstones could not tell the difference in base stocks of a finished lube and they couldn't even tell between synthetic (regardless of group number and price) and petroleum. In talking to Kristen at Blackstone Lab moments ago, she confirmed what I was told years ago. Who ever told you this is possible misspoke.
Ken
Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by minxguy
I was told that a lab such as Blackstones could not tell the difference in base stocks of a finished lube and they couldn't even tell between synthetic (regardless of group number and price) and petroleum. In talking to Kristen at Blackstone Lab moments ago, she confirmed what I was told years ago. Who ever told you this is possible misspoke.
Ken

They have known calibration basestock standards and can "play" and estimate.. I heard they don't offer the service to the public but have the capability to do it if they wish. One of the emplyees there played aorund and posted some info on an oil board I heard.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FYI...the latest reformulation of M-1 Extended products has Group IV back in them. It may be a III/IV blend.

See ya
From a truck forum, a guy just called Mobil to ask about the Group IV thing and they told him that ALL of their's are Group III PAO basestocks and no blending of anything. They also said they are getting tons of calls because "some guy" on the internet is saying that they've changed and are not using Groups III basestocks or they are a blend.

Can you believe anyone would listen to "some guy" on the internet? LOL
Old 01-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Registered

Exclamation Re: Marine Lubrication

See ya
So when did it fall off?!

They are coming out with a Mobil 1 15w50 without the EP again.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:24 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mobil replied to an e-mail from a guy on an oil thread saying: I e-mailed Mobil recently and inquired about the GIII issue with their Mobil 1 oil. They replied that their synthetic oils are 100% synthetic oil with PAO and specialized additives added.

So my take is they are using Group III bases with added PAO and additives....you can't add PAO to something that is already PAO right?

So what will the NEW 15W-50 M-1 be Vandy..any word? I hope they are not removing the Extended Performance (EP) because it is not meeitng that level of service requirement!

Redcap was 100% PAO. Goldcap is being said to be mostly GrpIII....I hope the new product is 100% PAO even if the cost is greater.

I do know that Auto Manufacturers in Germany are upset with the changes and may take those little stickers off the oil caps....

Here is the M-1 Grp III debate....

http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...e=1#Post800351

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 01-15-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Marine Lubrication

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.